[comp.windows.x] Roell 386/vga Server

skk@wsl.dec.com (Stuart Kreitman) (06/26/91)

Can anyone comment on the performance and quality of the Roell
Server for X.V11R4 386 [extended] vga?  I'm interested in how it stacks
up against ISC's vga.  Is ISC shipping R4 yet?

By the way, I have Roell's own announcement of February 11 which includes some
benchmarking data.

vrooom!

fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.132628@wsl.dec.com>, skk@wsl.dec.com (Stuart Kreitman) writes:

|> Can anyone comment on the performance and quality of the Roell
|> Server for X.V11R4 386 [extended] vga?  I'm interested in how it stacks
|> up against ISC's vga.  Is ISC shipping R4 yet?
|>
|> By the way, I have Roell's own announcement of February 11 which includes some
|> benchmarking data.
|>
|> vrooom!

Your own last description is VERY accurate :-).  IT is THE FAST/BEST X11R4
server for 386 UNIX boxes using SVGA boards (and 8514 compatibles).  It's so
fast on a say 33Mhz 386 box the responses feels just like a SPARC 1+, assuming
both have enough memory (386 8megs, SUN 16 megs :-(

You might be able to beat it by paying tons of money to some vendors whose
products support some obscure but high power accelerators.

NO UNIX vendor's X performs so well on SVGAs. (unless they steal Thomas' codes :-)
Remember I said SVGAs.  Please don't tell me some guy's X is faster on a TI board
etc as I am using a 50Mhz TI board now on an IBM RISC 6000.

Conclusion: for a freely available 386 Unix server, it's the KING.

Sincerely,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin@leland.stanford.edu

colin@handson.UUCP (Colin Grant) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun25.132628@wsl.dec.com> skk@netcom.com
(Stuart Kreitman) writes:

>Can anyone comment on the performance and quality of the Roell
>Server for X.V11R4 386 [extended] vga?  I'm interested in how it stacks
>up against ISC's vga.  Is ISC shipping R4 yet?

I don't know about the Roell Server for X.V11R4 386 [extended] vga, but I
WILL tell you that ISC is currently claiming that they'll have X11R4
(and Motif 1.1) ready in DECEMBER! I wouldn't put much faith in that,
however, since that is what they told me a year ago, too. That is, that
R4 would be out LAST December!

It is really a shame that they can't keep even remotely up to date (really -
they get to R4 three months after the rest of the world gets to R5?),
because their products are fundamentally good, but their lack of current
product has prompted me to throw away $30,000 worth of software and
go to ESIX, who has SysV.4, X11R4, and Motif 1.1 today - at a fraction
of ISC's cost!!

That felt good.

Colin (Also, they don't return phone calls) Grant