[comp.windows.x] What mwm resource

quang@aspect.UUCP (Quang Dangtran) (06/27/91)

Hello,

When I iconified some of my windows, the mwm iconfied the windows and
placed them on the bottom of my screen starting from the left.
But what if I would like the placements of my icons to be on the right
of my screen starting from the top? How should this be done?

Any hints are greatly appreated.

Thanks,
Q.

ballou@jrandm.enet.dec.com (Nat Ballou) (06/27/91)

In article <10661@aspect.UUCP>, quang@aspect.UUCP (Quang Dangtran) writes:

|> When I iconified some of my windows, the mwm iconfied the windows and
|> placed them on the bottom of my screen starting from the left.
|> But what if I would like the placements of my icons to be on the right
|> of my screen starting from the top? How should this be done?

Mwm*iconPlacement:                      Top Right

Nat

evans@testmax.zk3.dec.com (Marc Evans) (06/27/91)

In article <23898@shlump.lkg.dec.com>, ballou@jrandm.enet.dec.com (Nat Ballou) writes:

|> Mwm*iconPlacement:                      Top Right

What I would like to be able to do is place icons using a simular technique as
I do a window, such as:

	Mwm*app*iconGeometry:	40x30-2-2

The concept of placing icons in an ordered manaer could still be allowed, but,
if a specific geometry is provided for a specific icon then it would override.
Also, I would like to see the restriction on not allowing icons to overlap
eachother be removed (tiling just don't cut it for my needs).

The old Apollo Display Manager had the icon issue figured out *right* in my
opinion. It provided you with the ability to specify a region in which icons
are stacked, as well as placement direction and offsets. Add to that the
ability to have varied sizes of icons and you could do almost anything you
would probably want to.

(Now if we can just get shape extension support added to icons... 8-)

- Marc
Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics     (603)635-8876
      Unix and X Software Consultant        | 21 Hinds Ln, Pelham, NH 03076

kcc@yonkers.UUCP (Kevin C. Castner) (06/27/91)

In article <10661@aspect.UUCP>, quang@aspect.UUCP (Quang Dangtran) writes:
> When I iconified some of my windows, the mwm iconfied the windows and
> placed them on the bottom of my screen starting from the left.
> But what if I would like the placements of my icons to be on the right
> of my screen starting from the top? How should this be done?

The resource you need is iconPlacement.  This takes two space separated
values chosen from top, bottom, left, right.  The first value specifies
the direction so top will make the icons go top to bottom.  The second
specifies the location of the first icon so right will place the icon
at top right moving toward the bottom.

You will also need to make sure that the resource iconAutoPlace is true,
otherwise the icon will simply stay where you minimized the window.

I would also recommend getting a copy of July 1991 Unix World Magazine.
There is an excellent article in there about customizing the Motif Window
Manager that would answer most of your questions.

Kevin C. Castner                             572 North Broadway
JMDEL Systems                                White Plains, N.Y. 10603
Phone: (914) 948-3494                        E-mail: uunet!jmdel!yonkers!kcc

dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) (06/27/91)

evans@testmax.zk3.dec.com (Marc Evans) writes:
|> What I would like to be able to do is place icons using a simular technique
|> as I do a window, such as:
|>
|> 	Mwm*app*iconGeometry:	40x30-2-2

Mwm provides one-third of what you want.  You have to give the hint via
WMShell resources:

	app*iconX:	200
	app:iconY:	300

But you can't specify the size (you can specify this indirectly using a
bitmap) and it doesn't seem to handle negative offsets.
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks