[net.news] confiscation of BB machines

dave@murphy.UUCP (Dave Cornutt) (06/30/86)

From: alang@masscomp.UUCP
Newsgroups: net.news,net.politics,net.legal
Subject: Re: Towards making hosts and their admin free from a criminal offence
Date: Thu, 19-Jun-86 15:15:12 EDT

In article <1037@masscomp.UUCP>, alang@masscomp.UUCP (Alan Groupe) writes:

>Of course, a number of computer bulletin boards have been shut down (and
>machines confiscated?) because of certain postings.

I was under the impression that these cases had to do with the posting of
thinks like machine passwords and credit card numbers, and that it was
done with the knowledge and consent of the owner.  Usually this was
a BB populated with teenage password-breakers.  I should hope that posters
to USENET have more maturity than this, and that, if anything of this
ilk should turn up, the sysadmins would take steps to remove it immediately.
As long as they do, SA's should be free from prosecution.
---
Arthur shone his flashlight on Prak's face.  "We thought," he said,
"that you were meant to be telling the Truth, the Whole Truth, and
Nothing But The Truth." "Oh, that," said Prak, "yeah, I was.  I
finished.  There's not nearly as much of it as people imagine."

Dave Cornutt, Gould Computer Systems, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
UUCP:  ...!sun!gould!dcornutt or ...!ucf-cs!novavax!houligan!dcornutt
ARPA: wait a minute, I've almost got it...

"The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer,
not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary."