[comp.windows.x] Running Open Look apps using other than OLWM

guerra@cae.llnl.gov (Frank M. Guerra) (06/11/91)

I've been waiting for someone to beg the question on why running an Open Look
application under twm, or anything but olwm fails.  It always complains about
certain fonts not being found.  Okay, so someone figures that the .ff fonts in
/usr/openwin/lib/fonts need to be converted to .snf in order to be recognized.
Well, apparently, that's not quite it either.  So, is there any workarounds, or
is this just the way it is?  I know that certain things like pushpins go away, but
I would expect that.  Insights anyone?

Frank
fmguerra@llnl.gov

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (06/12/91)

In article <99199@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> guerra@cae.llnl.gov (Frank M. Guerra) writes:
>I've been waiting for someone to beg the question on why running an Open Look
>application under twm, or anything but olwm fails.  It always complains about
>certain fonts not being found.  Okay, so someone figures that the .ff fonts in
>/usr/openwin/lib/fonts need to be converted to .snf in order to be recognized.
>Well, apparently, that's not quite it either.  So, is there any workarounds, or
>is this just the way it is?  I know that certain things like pushpins go away, but
>I would expect that.  Insights anyone?

It works fine for me.  Are you sure you have all the OW fonts?  What error
messages do you get?
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Multitasking for MS-DOS"

cnbr17@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.003134.19814@eng.umd.edu>, stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) writes:
> In article <99199@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> guerra@cae.llnl.gov (Frank M. Guerra) writes:
>>I've been waiting for someone to beg the question on why running an Open Look
>>application under twm, or anything but olwm fails.  It always complains about
>>certain fonts not being found.  Okay, so someone figures that the .ff fonts in
>>/usr/openwin/lib/fonts need to be converted to .snf in order to be recognized.
>>Well, apparently, that's not quite it either.  So, is there any workarounds, or
>>is this just the way it is?  I know that certain things like pushpins go away, but
>>I would expect that.  Insights anyone?

Hi,
I don't know much about using other window managers, but I suspect the
problem with the fonts is due to you running under X rather than Xnews.

I run a lot of OpenLook applications under vanilla X -- cmdtools, filemgr,
mailtool and the calendar manager being the main ones. I had to mess about
with the fonts to get them to work properly -- particularly for cm. Here's
what I did:

1. Use convertfont to dump all of the OW fonts as BDF fonts.

2. Use bdftosnf to get the SNF fonts

3. Use mkfontdir to create fonts.dir in the new font directory.

4. Add the following lines to fonts.alias (in our case this was in
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc):

   screen.r.9   -b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-120-**-*-*-*-*
   Helvetica    helvetica-12
   -b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-9-90-75-75-p-58-iso8859-1 lucidasans-10
   -b&h-lucida-bold-r-normal-sans-9-90-75-75-p-58-iso8859-1 lucidasans-bold-10

Figuring out which aliases to use for the last part was the most difficult.
Basically I had to look at the error messages I was getting (ie which fonts
the server couldn't find), then look at the files Synonyms.list and
Compat.list in $OPENWINHOME/lib/fonts to find out the full names of those
fonts, and then add the appropriate aliases.

Hope this is of use to you,
Peter.

Peter Duffy           |JANET:   p.duffy@uk.ac.strath.vaxa
EEE Dept.             |Internet:p.duffy%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Strathclyde University|BITNET:  p.duffy%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@UKACRL
Glasgow G1 1XW        |UUCP:    p.duffy%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@ukc.uucp
Scotland.             |

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (06/14/91)

In article <99199@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> guerra@cae.llnl.gov (Frank M. Guerra) writes:
>I've been waiting for someone to beg the question on why running an Open Look
>application under twm, or anything but olwm fails.  It always complains about
>certain fonts not being found.  Okay, so someone figures that the .ff fonts in
>/usr/openwin/lib/fonts need to be converted to .snf in order to be recognized.

I have never had problems running OpenLook application under the xnews
server and twm.  The window manager doesn't have anything to do with
fonts, that the server's problem.  Now if I read you right I think your
problem is "Running Open Look apps using server other than XNEWS".
Insights:
- Your server doesn't have the the Open Look glyph or cursor fonts.
- Your server doesn't have the other fonts used by XView programs.
- If you're running MIT X11R4 (patchlevel 18), your fonts aren't setup right.
  You need to tell us exactly what messages you see when you try to run
  Open Look application, so we can give you further insights.

Suggestions:
- Describe your situation more completely
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton bu}!polygen!bill |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           | - This space for rent -     |
|                 | FAX (617)890-8694         | bill@polygen.com            |
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

guerra@cae.llnl.gov (Frank M. Guerra) (06/17/91)

In article <1132@redford.UUCP> bill@redford.UUCP (Bill Poitras(X258)) writes:
>In article <99199@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> guerra@cae.llnl.gov (Frank M. Guerra) writes:
>>I've been waiting for someone to beg the question on why running an Open Look
>>application under twm, or anything but olwm fails.  It always complains about
>>certain fonts not being found.  Okay, so someone figures that the .ff fonts in
>>/usr/openwin/lib/fonts need to be converted to .snf in order to be recognized.
>
>I have never had problems running OpenLook application under the xnews
>server and twm.  The window manager doesn't have anything to do with
>fonts, that the server's problem.  Now if I read you right I think your
>problem is "Running Open Look apps using server other than XNEWS".
>Insights:
>- Your server doesn't have the the Open Look glyph or cursor fonts.
>- Your server doesn't have the other fonts used by XView programs.
>- If you're running MIT X11R4 (patchlevel 18), your fonts aren't setup right.
>  You need to tell us exactly what messages you see when you try to run
>  Open Look application, so we can give you further insights.
>
>Suggestions:
>- Describe your situation more completely

Okay, I'll do just that...

This is the error message that I am used to seeing:

OPEN LOOK Toolkit Error in application "Xtranslator":  Could not find default OP
EN LOOK button font:
                Resolution: d     Point Size: 12

From what I've learned from others is that window managers don't give a hoot
about fonts (although olwm does prefer having the Lucida font available.)
What really confused me was the fact that my configuration will use the MIT
R4 server when I am using twm, and the X11/NeWS server when I am running olwm.
It is the server that handles the fonts.  Fine.  As you stated, the xnews server
and twm get along just fine.  I can just change modify things such that I use
twm while running the X11/NeWS server.  Open Look applications appear no
problem; no pushpins mind you, but I would expect that.

However, the error message comes up when I am running the MIT R4 server.  I've
just stated a solution for my Sun, but not for my Mac running MacX.  This is
obviously a font problem that I have not been able to resolve by setting
environment or resource variables.  The only lead that I have is to use the
'convertfont' utility supplied with OpenWindows 2.0 to create BDF format files
of the fonts found in $OPENWINHOME/lib/fonts for use by the R4 server.  I
don't know what to do about the Mac yet, I haven't looked into its font
structure.  I've you have any suggestions or insights, they would be appreciated.

Frank
fmguerra@llnl.gov

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (06/21/91)

Frank> I've been waiting for someone to beg the question on why
Frank> running an Open Look application under twm, or anything but
Frank> olwm fails.  It always complains about certain fonts not being
Frank> found.

All the basic OPEN LOOK fonts are available with the XView
distribution from MIT. I advise that you get these fonts and install
them in your X11 font directory. A number of applications from Sun
makes use of additional fonts (odd sizes). The calendar Manager is
notorious here.

Several people around here use twm with both X11R4 (MIT server) and
Open Windows 2.0 with no problems.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | It takes an uncommon mind to think of
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | these things.  -- Calvin

ferrara@esacs.UUCP (Giancarlo Ferrara) (06/25/91)

> >Insights:
> >- Your server doesn't have the the Open Look glyph or cursor fonts.
> >- Your server doesn't have the other fonts used by XView programs.
> >- If you're running MIT X11R4 (patchlevel 18), your fonts aren't setup right.

[.....]
> This is the error message that I am used to seeing:
>
> OPEN LOOK Toolkit Error in application "Xtranslator":  Could not find default OP
> EN LOOK button font:
>                 Resolution: d     Point Size: 12

I have the SAME problem with ANY *OLIT* appls no matter how the server/wm
combination.

- xnews with olwm or mwm
- Xsun (R4PL18) with olwm/mwm
- NCD19/NCD15 with olwm/mwm

Note that there is *NO* problem with xview appls and all the user env appls;

The only "strange" think i have done is to chose a "non standard" installation
not installing the whole kit.

On X my fonts (glyphs and cursor) are present and accessible (xfd displays
all fine)

Giancarlo
uunet!i2unix!esacs!ferrara

sinkwitz@ifi.unizh.ch (Rainer Sinkwitz) (06/26/91)

In article <159@esacs.UUCP> ferrara@esacs.UUCP (Giancarlo Ferrara) writes:
>> >Insights:
>> >- Your server doesn't have the the Open Look glyph or cursor fonts.
>> >- Your server doesn't have the other fonts used by XView programs.
>> >- If you're running MIT X11R4 (patchlevel 18), your fonts aren't setup right.
>>
>[.....]
>> This is the error message that I am used to seeing:
>>
>> OPEN LOOK Toolkit Error in application "Xtranslator":  Could not find default OP
>> EN LOOK button font:
>>                 Resolution: d     Point Size: 12
>
>I have the SAME problem with ANY *OLIT* appls no matter how the server/wm
>combination.
>
>- xnews with olwm or mwm
>- Xsun (R4PL18) with olwm/mwm
>- NCD19/NCD15 with olwm/mwm

There are strange things about OLIT2.0 if you compare it to XView:

1. It uses another set of fonts (Available with the OpenWindow X11/News server
   or on export as OLITfonts..., can be converted by convertfont )

2. It has another look ( no 3D, will change )

3. It has another method for drag&drop (not compatible with XView, will change)

I hope all this will change with Olit2.5 or Olit3.0 .

At present you will have to install the OLITfonts for your server
if you are not using Sun's X11/NeWS server.

The fonts are named like this:
a12biluc12.bdf	b12sbarv12.bdf	d12iluci14.bdf	f12bluci10.bdf	g12sldrv12.bdf
a12bluci10.bdf	b12sldrh12.bdf	d12lucid14.bdf	f12butto12.bdf	h12bluci12.bdf
a12butto12.bdf	b12sldrv12.bdf	d12sbarh12.bdf	f12lucid12.bdf	h12butto12.bdf
a12iluci12.bdf	c12bluci12.bdf	d12sbarv12.bdf	f12sbarh12.bdf	h12iluci12.bdf
a12lucid10.bdf	c12butto12.bdf	d12sldrh12.bdf	f12sbarv12.bdf	h12lucid12.bdf
a12sbarh12.bdf	c12iluci12.bdf	d12sldrv12.bdf	f12sldrh12.bdf	h12sbarh12.bdf
a12sbarv12.bdf	c12lucid12.bdf	e12bluci10.bdf	f12sldrv12.bdf	h12sbarv12.bdf
a12sldrh12.bdf	c12sbarh12.bdf	e12butto12.bdf	g12bluci10.bdf	h12sldrh12.bdf
a12sldrv12.bdf	c12sbarv12.bdf	e12lucid10.bdf	g12butto12.bdf	h12sldrv12.bdf
b12bluci10.bdf	c12sldrh12.bdf	e12sbarh12.bdf	g12lucid10.bdf
b12butto12.bdf	c12sldrv12.bdf	e12sbarv12.bdf	g12sbarh12.bdf
b12lucid12.bdf	d12bluci14.bdf	e12sldrh12.bdf	g12sbarv12.bdf
b12sbarh12.bdf	d12butto12.bdf	e12sldrv12.bdf	g12sldrh12.bdf

Greetings...

--

Rainer Sinkwitz            | E-mail: sinkwitz@ifi.unizh.ch
Dept. of Computer Science  |    sinkwitz%ifi.unizh.ch@relay.eu.net

biggers@wolves.uucp (Mark Biggers) (06/28/91)

In article <159@esacs.UUCP> ferrara@esacs.UUCP (Giancarlo Ferrara) writes:
>> >Insights:
>> >- Your server doesn't have the the Open Look glyph or cursor fonts.
>> >- Your server doesn't have the other fonts used by XView programs.
>> >- If you're running MIT X11R4 (patchlevel 18), your fonts aren't setup right.
>>
>[.....]
>> This is the error message that I am used to seeing:
>>
>> OPEN LOOK Toolkit Error in application "Xtranslator":  Could not find default OP
>> EN LOOK button font:
>>                 Resolution: d     Point Size: 12
>
>I have the SAME problem with ANY *OLIT* appls no matter how the server/wm
>combination.
>
>- xnews with olwm or mwm
>- Xsun (R4PL18) with olwm/mwm
>- NCD19/NCD15 with olwm/mwm
>
>Note that there is *NO* problem with xview appls and all the user env appls;
>
>The only "strange" think i have done is to chose a "non standard" installation
>not installing the whole kit.
>
>On X my fonts (glyphs and cursor) are present and accessible (xfd displays
>all fine)
>
>Giancarlo
>uunet!i2unix!esacs!ferrara

My insight:

I'm running X11R4, patchlevel 18 from MIT as my default setup on a
Sun 4/110FCE, SunOS 4.1.  I also have OpenWindows installed in /home/openwin,
with my "path" var set up to pick up OW apps as desired.  I have no problems
running any of the XView clients (except Calendar Manager, and a font alias
fix was posted here for that).  BUT, OLIT fonts weren't shipped with MIT X,
so you gotta do the following:

1. "convertfont" (RTM) the d12* fonts in /home/openwin/lib/fonts to
   bdf fonts, taking care of the brain damage in "convertfont" to truncate
   font names in the process....

2. "bdftosnf" these fonts for each X server (on each machine )
   you have running about your
   installation.  My friends locally need to do this for a DG Aviion,
   Mac X and their Solbourne; I just did it for my Sun...

3. Move the .snf font files to /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc (if you want), do
   a "mkfontdir ." in that directory, and then add to your fonts.alias
   file in that dir as follows:

d12bluci  d12bluci-14
d12butto  d12butto-12
d12iluci  d12iluci-14
d12NAlucid  d12lucid-14
d12sbarh  d12sbarh-12
d12sbarv  d12sbarv-12
d12sldrh  d12sldrh-12
d12sldrv  d12sldrv-12

(I don't like the d12lucid-14 font supplied with the d12 OLIT fonts, so
 I used this alias in /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/fonts.alias:
d12lucid   -b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-12-120-75-75-p-71-iso8859-1

Hmm, now that I see this, I realize I should have done the same for the
corresponding bold and italic styles.  Left as an exercise for the reader...)

4. Issue a "xset fp rehash" to cause the X server to reread the font
   databases

5. Enjoy OLIT wherever you use an X server ;^) :^(....

If you get stuck, send me mail...

--mark

--
Mark Biggers