[net.news] compress/uncomress

root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) (06/15/86)

H E L P.......
I seem to have encountered a problem with the net supplied
compress.c routine.
Here's is what has happened. My 'puter, Tandy-6000, can only
support a 12 bit compress. My feed (killer) running a 3B2 ( I think)
has tried using the ... compress -b 12 .... syntax with resulting
core dumps. We would really like to get the compress working,
as it would save both of us quite a bit of time transmission-wise.

Any fellow netters have any suggestions?
Public posting my be of interest to others, as surely I can't be
the only site to have expierenced this situation.
Thanks..

Scotty
...ihnp4!cuae2!ltuxa!we53!sw013b!dj3b1!killer!ozdaltx!root

DISCLAIMER:
"This system is mine, so this really isn't necessary!"

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) (07/01/86)

In article <114@ozdaltx.UUCP> root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) writes:
>H E L P.......
>I seem to have encountered a problem with the net supplied
>compress.c routine.
>Here's is what has happened. My 'puter, Tandy-6000, can only
>support a 12 bit compress. My feed (killer) running a 3B2 ( I think)
>has tried using the ... compress -b 12 .... syntax with resulting
>core dumps. We would really like to get the compress working,

Since the original poster requested posting replies, here it is. I
regularly us the "-b12" option on a 3B2 (chinet) and VAXen (Ultrix and
SysV), and ix370, and an AT&T 7300 (SysV) to make files for XENIX and
PC/IX. It works. Do you have compress 4.0?

There is a XENIX option to allow 16 bit operation on XENIX, but it only
works to 14 bits on XENIX/286.
--
	-bill davidsen

  ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
                                       \
                    unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
                          chinet ------/
         sixhub ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"