[comp.windows.x] Window colormaps on Apollos

BUCKHOLTZ_G%RMC.CA@mitvma.mit.EDU (06/28/91)

Hi!
      I have been trying to get colourmaps to work on our Apollos for
a little while now but with marginal success. I was under the impression
that in X if a window became in focus that the colourmap for that window
would be used for the screen. I am writing an image processing package
and I have made a gray scale colourmap and set the colourmap resource of
my root widget (Motif) to my colourmap. I retrieve the colourmap resource
from one of its childeren and the my colourmap was successfully
inherited. However my colormap is not installed when one of my windows
become in focus. If I attach my colourmap to the Root Window any windows
that are realized after I have set my colourmap inherit my colormap and
it is installed when these windows become in focus.
      I didn't think that there should be any difference if my colourmap
was inherited from the root window or from my root widget.

      I would appreciate any suggestions!

                  bye,
                        Glenn

mouse@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) (06/29/91)

In article <910628.09342369.004113@RMC.CP6>, BUCKHOLTZ_G%RMC.CA@mitvma.mit.EDU writes:

> I have been trying to get colourmaps to work on our Apollos for a
> little while now but with marginal success.  I was under the
> impression that in X if a window became in focus that the colourmap
> for that window would be used for the screen.

Yes and no.  The ICCCM says that this is the window manager's
bailiwick, and most window managers seem to make colormap focus follow
keyboard focus.  But there is no requirement that this be so; it could
require an explicit command to change colormap focus.  (It may even be
impossible, though I would hope such a window manager wouldn't survive
long in the presence of all the good, more intelligent WMs out there.)

Check your window manager's documentation and see what it says.  (If
it's silent on the subject, you probably have a pre-ICCCM window
manager, and should either switch to a modern one or rag on whoever you
got it from to fix it.)

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu