[comp.windows.x] Problem with xset

yang@milton.u.washington.edu (Joe Yang) (06/29/91)

I am trying to set up a fontpath, but the xset command I used kept giving me
an error message. I have set up a directory with the fonts I need in fontdir.
Here is the command I used:

xset +fp ~/fontdir

Here is the error message that xset produced:

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  51 (X_SetFontPath)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  0
  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  4

Does anyone know what is wrong? Any help will be appreciated.

J. Yang

mouse@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) (07/01/91)

In article <1991Jun29.020136.3168@milton.u.washington.edu>, yang@milton.u.washington.edu (Joe Yang) writes:

> I am trying to set up a fontpath, but the xset command I used kept
> giving me an error message.  I have set up a directory with the fonts
> I need in fontdir.  Here is the command I used:

> xset +fp ~/fontdir

> Here is the error message that xset produced:

> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  51 (X_SetFontPath)

There are a couple of plausible reasons.

One is that you didn't use mkfontdir (or your server's equivalent, eg
bldfamily I think for Sun's xnews server).

The other is that your server is running on some machine (eg, an X
terminal) that can't make sense out of the path ~/fontdir expands into.
The string you pass to xset must be something that makes sense to the
server; for servers where it's a pathname (which includes most
servers), it has to be a pathname in the filesystem the server sees.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu