[comp.windows.x] XVT

scottl@mercury.sybase.com (Scott Luebking) (07/04/90)

Hi,
Has anyone had experience with xvt?  Does their approach handle changing fonts
as an application moves from environment to environment?
Thanks,
Scott

--
Scott Luebking
{mtxinu,sun,pyramid,pacbell}!sybase!scottl

vonn@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Vonn Marsch) (07/25/90)

Dear Friends,

In article <723@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> ries writes:
>I noticed that a recent information packet from XVT says:

... <what it says deleted>

Perhaps I've missed something, but I didn't get a good idea as to what XVT
is from what I've read on the net.

Could somebody in the know send me or post some info?

Thanks `advance.
Vonn

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (07/25/90)

    IEEE Standards Working Group Chooses XVT:  At its June meeting in San Jose,
    the IEEE P1201.1 Working Group voted to base its proposed standard for a
    virtual API on XVT.

It's useful to note that the group did this without ever having distributed
the XVT specification in a mailing to its members, and after having circulated
only half of the XVT specification (a sizeable document) at the two-day June
meeting.  The people present at the June meeting (I wasn't there) apparently
also approved a "virtual" document derived from XVT before it was ever even
written.  You are welcome to draw your own conclusions as to the wisdom of
these actions.

[I don't mean to imply that I dislike XVT; I've yet to see a specification
of it, so I have not yet produced an informed opinion.]

    This group had previously been working on standardizing
    an X-Windows-System-based toolkit, but was unable to choose between OSF/MOTIF
    and OPEN LOOK.

The group was certainly deadlocked on this issue.

    Also, many members of the group wanted the standard API to
    work on non-X systems, such as the Macintosh, MS-Windows, Presentation
    Manager, and character displays.

This is certainly true, although my personal opinion is that it was not the
driving force.  The driving force was the deadlock, and the desparate feeling
that the group had to standardize on *something*.

    If the group's new Project Authorization Request is approved, it will begin
    drafting a standard based on XVT with the goal of going to ballot in a year.

The PAR was delayed on a technicality at the meeting in Danvers last week.  I
think the general feeling was that it was delayed because the approval body
did not wish to tackle what had become a very charged issue, both technically
and politically.

In article <9007251317.AA03718@expire.lcs.mit.edu> rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:
>This is certainly true, although my personal opinion is that it was not the
>driving force.  The driving force was the deadlock, and the desparate feeling
>that the group had to standardize on *something*.
Is anything more frightening than a standards group in search of something to
standardize on?  :-)

>The PAR was delayed on a technicality at the meeting in Danvers last week.  I
>think the general feeling was that it was delayed because the approval body
>did not wish to tackle what had become a very charged issue, both technically
>and politically.
While there was definitely a feeling that that they would delay it for that reason,
their objections seemed reasonable to me.  Particularly on something as controversial
as this I think too broad a scope would leave a standard open to being shotdown in
the final vote.

In the final analysis however, all I will say for sure is that standards meetings
are very interesting - in small doses.

								-kee

--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com
nazgul@alphalpha.com		|-----------------------------------

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

louis@torsqnt.UUCP (Lou Ferrante) (01/05/91)

Has anyone had the opportunity to program in the XVT virtual API?
I'd appreciate any info on your experience with the product.
Is it really as simple as it looks? Are there any hidden gotchas?

-lou-

Louis Ferrante                                         Phone: (416) 733-9200
Sequent Computer Systems (Canada) Ltd.                 Fax  : (416) 733-9661
4950 Yonge Street, Suite 304
Toronto, Ontario, M2N 6K1                              ..!uunet!sequent!louis

kk@shasta.tivoli.COM (Kerry Kimbrough) (01/25/91)

I, too, have polled this forum for feedback on XVT. I got 1 reply indicating
general satisfaction, but no substantial info on pro's and con's.  From this, I
gather that few xpert's have used XVT or care much about it either way.

This week's UNIFORUM exhibit included demo's of other products similar to XVT:

Aspect 	(Open Inc., 719-576-8967)

	Interactive design tool generates C API. Supports Motif (VMS and Unix),
	Mac, MS Windows, Presentation Mgr, OPEN LOOK, and character terminals.
	Port via relink.

Open Interface (Neuron Data, 1-800-876-4900)

	Interactive design tool generates C API. Supports Motif, Mac, MS
	Windows, Presentation Mgr, OPEN LOOK. Port via recompile and relink.

costello@mbunix.mitre.org (Costello) (03/21/91)

Hello,
     Does anyone have information on xvt? I heard it stands for "x virtual
  terminal". Is that right? I also heard that it is "soon to be the latest
  standard". Of what, I don't know. Well, anything that you could pass
  along would be much appreciated. Please send e-mail to me directly at:
  costello@mitre.org
  Thanks. Cheers! /Roger

vijay@hydro.saic.COM (Vijay S. Tripathi) (01/24/92)

I am interested in learning about the source and availability of XVT.

Can anyone provide this information to me please?  Thanks very much!

Vijay S. Tripathi			     Internet: vijay@hydro.saic.com
Director Contaminant Transport Research
SAIC
1710 Goodridge Drive