[comp.windows.x] xcal ignoring geometry, borderwidth

dana@dino.bellcore.com (Dana A. Chee) (02/08/91)

In article <168@intrbas.UUCP>, kenn@intrbas.uucp (Kenneth G. Goutal) writes:
|> I often run xcal on one of our HP machines,
|> specifying my Apollo (DN-3010, Domain/OS 10.3) as the display.
|> This is a tremendously convenient little calendar,
|> but we only have it on the HP's.
|> However, no matter what I do,
|> it always puts the window at coordinates +0+0
|> and uses a borderwidth of something greater than the minimum (1?);
|> that is, it has a thicker border than, say, xclock.
|>
|> Here's the command line I use on my Apollo:
|>
|>     rsh hpnode "/usr/bin/X11/xcal -display mynode:0 &" &
|>
|> I first tried setting these on the command line.
|>
|> 				  -geom 130x100+600+899
|>
|> This had the effect of successfully specifying the *dimensions*
|> of the displayed window, but not the location.

This will set the location of the strip, but not the location of the
little label widget.

|> Next I tried setting these in my .Xdefaults file in my home
|> directory on my Apollo.  This of course didn't work at all,
|> but I was even more naive then than I am now.

No, for those who wonder why, the program is being run on the HP
machine, so it will read the .Xdefaults file in Ken's home directory
on the HP machine.

|> Next I tried using file in /usr/X11/lib/app-defaults on the Apollo:
|>
|>     XCal*geometry:	130x100+672+899
|>     XCal*borderWidth:	1
|>
|> I was surprised that this likewise had no effect whatever.

Same reason.  Since the program is running on the HP, it will read the
files on the HP machine.

|> Finally I tried using xrdb to -load the latter file into the resource
|> database.  Like the command-line option, this had the effect of
|> successfully specifying the *dimensions* of the displayed window,
|> but not the location, and the borderwidth was not altered.

Now you're getting somewhere.  When you will be using multiple
machines, it is usually better to load the resources you want into the
server.  Then you will get the same behavior no matter what machine
you run the binaries from (and whatever is in your home directory on
those machines).

|> So, what gives?  Am I doing something wrong?
|> Am I not doing something right?

Well, a little of both.  Below is my line from my .xinitrc file to
start xcal:

xcal -geometry +500+0 -xrm '*TopLevelShell.geometry: -0+150' &

it puts the little label window at x=500, y=0 and puts each strip at
x=-0, y=150

|> Or is it just that xcal on the HP is brain-damaged?

You may want to check out /usr/X11/lib/app-defaults/XCal on the HP
machine to see if it has specified a border width in a more specific
form than you have.  This is the file that xcal will use and you will
have to make things more specific than what is in there (but usually
the window manager makes the outer border width whatever it chooses,
what window manager are you using and does it have a method of
specifying a border width for give applications).

|> If the latter, is there an address to which I can send e-mail --
|> I'm not on "the connected Internet" and cannot ftp --
|> and get a binary back as a shar file or whatever?
|> I don't think I'm prepared to build from sources at this time.
|>
|> Thanks,
|> -- Kenn Goutal
|>    Technical Support
|>
|> Interbase Software Corporation
|> 209 Burlington Road			...!linus!intrbas!kenn
|> Bedford  MA  01730  USA			...!mcsun!uunet!intrbas!kenn
|> 617.275.3222				kenn@intrbas.UUCP ?

Hope this helps you out.

--
+*************************************************************************+
*  Dana Chee				(201) 829-4488			  *

kgg@zinn.MV.COM (Kenn Goutal) (02/13/91)

Poof!  I'm over here, using news in a guest account on a friend's machine
because Usenet news hasn't been getting in or out of Interbase for several
days.  I hope this is the only response to my query so far;  otherwise,
I've missed some.

In article <1991Feb7.153640@dino.bellcore.com> dana@thumper.bellcore.com writes:
>|> I first tried setting [the geometry] on the command line.
>|>
>|> 				  -geom 130x100+600+899
>|>
>|> This had the effect of successfully specifying the *dimensions*
>|> of the displayed window, but not the location.
>|>

>This will set the location of the strip, but not the location of the
>little label widget.

...and...

>|> So, what gives?  Am I doing something wrong?
>|> Am I not doing something right?
>
>Well, a little of both.  Below is my line from my .xinitrc file to
>start xcal:
>
>xcal -geometry +500+0 -xrm '*TopLevelShell.geometry: -0+150' &
>
>it puts the little label window at x=500, y=0 and puts each strip at
>x=-0, y=150

I'm lost.  What do you mean by "label window" and "strip"?
My xcal window looks like this:

	+----------------------+
	: <       March      > :
	:        1  2  3  4  5 :
	:  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 :
	: 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 :
	: 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 :
	: 27 28 29 30 31       :
	+----------------------+

I forget -- they may be a line with the days of the week, or not.

In the meantime, thanks for the hints.
-- Kenn Goutal

dana@dino.bellcore.com (Dana A. Chee) (02/14/91)

In article <1185@zinn.MV.COM>, kgg@zinn.MV.COM (Kenn Goutal) writes:
|> Poof!  I'm over here, using news in a guest account on a friend's machine
|> because Usenet news hasn't been getting in or out of Interbase for several
|> days.  I hope this is the only response to my query so far;  otherwise,
|> I've missed some.

|> I'm lost.  What do you mean by "label window" and "strip"?
|> My xcal window looks like this:
|>
|> 	+----------------------+
|> 	: <       March      > :
|> 	:        1  2  3  4  5 :
|> 	:  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 :
|> 	: 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 :
|> 	: 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 :
|> 	: 27 28 29 30 31       :
|> 	+----------------------+
|>
|> I forget -- they may be a line with the days of the week, or not.
|>
|> In the meantime, thanks for the hints.
|> -- Kenn Goutal

Oh, that program is called xcalendar (there is also an xcal, which
gives you a strip calendar).  Try making sure that xcal isn't an alias
or a shell script that runs xcalendar with other args.  When running
xcalender, which is the program on my system that gives me the little
window that you drew, and running xprop against it.

DINO(p1): xprop
WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
                window state: Normal
                icon window: 0x0
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "xcalendar", "XCalendar"
WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
                Client accepts input or input focus: True
                Initial state is Normal State.
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                user specified location: 600, 89
                user specified size: 130 by 100
                window gravity: NorthWest
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "dino"
WM_COMMAND(STRING) = { "xcalendar", "-geom", "130x100+600+89" }
WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = "xcalendar: February 1991"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "xcalendar"

If you run xprop against the window you have that isn't working
properly, what do you get?

--

kenn@intrbas.uucp (Kenneth G. Goutal) (10/11/97)