[comp.os.minix] First posting!? -- MINIX question

ubi@sri-unix.UUCP (01/15/87)

I ran rn this morning and, to my suprise, it asked me if I wanted
to subscribe to a new newsgroup called comp.os.minix.  I said sure,
and was even more suprised to find that it was empty.  So here is
a question from a friend who has a PC and is considering MINIX:

	If one has a hard disk, is it possible to partition it
	in such a way that it would be relatively easy to switch
	between MINIX and MS-DOS?  Having all that UNIX-like
	software is great, especially for only $80, but some people
	still want to run Wordstar, BASIC (Ugh!), Turbo Pascal, and
	games written for MS-DOS.

(Please excuse my lack of OS knowledge.)

I wonder if this will be the first posting.

	--Ron Ueberschaer	uucp:  ...!{hplabs, rutgers}!sri-unix!ubi
	  SRI International	arpa:  ubi@sri-unix.ARPA
	  Menlo Park, CA

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (01/16/87)

In article <901@sri-unix.ARPA> ubi@sri-unix.ARPA (Ron Ueberschaer) writes:

>	If one has a hard disk, is it possible to partition it
>	in such a way that it would be relatively easy to switch
>	between MINIX and MS-DOS?  Having all that UNIX-like
>	software is great, especially for only $80, but some people
>	still want to run Wordstar, BASIC (Ugh!), Turbo Pascal, and
>	games written for MS-DOS.

MS-DOS will let you.  I don't know about MINIX...
	    Tim

kuo@skatter.UUCP (01/21/87)

In article <1665@hoptoad.uucp>, pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) writes:
> In article <901@sri-unix.ARPA> ubi@sri-unix.ARPA (Ron Ueberschaer) writes:
> >
> >	If one has a hard disk, is it possible to partition it
> >	in such a way that it would be relatively easy to switch
> >	between MINIX and MS-DOS?  Having all that UNIX-like
> >	software is great, especially for only $80, but some people
> >	still want to run Wordstar, BASIC (Ugh!), Turbo Pascal, and
> >	games written for MS-DOS.
> >

> MS-DOS will let you.  I don't know about MINIX...
> 	    Tim

I have seen a program called bootcode.asm that modifies the boot record
on your hard disk and prompts you for which partition to boot from when
you turn the system on.

Peter Kuo                    Bitnet (VMS address)    : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory              (UUCP address)   : "skatter!kuo@sask.uucp"
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse)
Univ. of Saskatchewan          uucp (unix address)   : !ihnp4!sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan             (Bitnet address) : !ihnp4!sask.BITNET!kuo
CANADA  S7N 0W0
Tel. (306) 966-6059

[Disclaimer: all the standard stuff.]