[comp.os.minix] Anybody use it yet?

tim@sunybcs.UUCP (Timothy Thomas) (01/19/87)

Has anybody actually seen minix running yet?  I have heard a lot of
talk about it, but nobody has actually posted a review on it yet.

Assuming nobody has used it yet, anybody have the book yet?  I have
ordered it, but dont expect to get the book yet for another month
or so.  Is the book any good?

--------
____________   ____/--\____
\______  ___) (   _    ____)     "Damn it Jim!,
     __\ \____/  / `--'            I'm a programmer not a Doctor!"
     )           `|=(-
     \------------'
   Timothy D. Thomas                 SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science
   UUCP:  [decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath,rocksvax]!sunybcs!tim
   CSnet: tim@buffalo,   ARPAnet: tim%buffalo@CSNET-RELAY

greg@xios.UUCP (Greg Franks) (01/26/87)

In article <2005@sunybcs.UUCP> tim@sunybcs.UUCP (Timothy Thomas) writes:

>Has anybody actually seen minix running yet?  I have heard a lot of
>talk about it, but nobody has actually posted a review on it yet.

It was apparently running at Uniforum (I didn't see it though...).  I
bought the book - very easy to read and understand (but then again, I
have written kernels before).

The Prentice Hall people said that the Atari port is expected in
``october''.  Apparently, the job is 50% complete.

Regrettably, the MINIX for the PC uses the small memory model, and has
combined I and D space.  The compiler does generate separate I and D,
but assembler and loader don't use this info.  I guess we need a GNU
``as'' and ``ld'' too.  With the restricted memory size, BISON, and GNU
emacs probably won't fit without some minor alterations.  I very much
doubt that microEMACS will fit either :-( :-( :-(.  On the other hand,
given enough hackers we'll soon have a) swapping, b) EMACS, c) large
memory model....  (*sigh*).

Stay tuned to this bat-channel for more news.............
--
Greg Franks     (613) 725-5411          "Vermont ain't flat"
{net-land}!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!xios!greg