[comp.os.minix] Minix .vs. GNU

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicarious Oyster) (01/22/87)

In article <171@osupyr.UUCP> lum@osupyr.UUCP (Lum Johnson) writes:
>In article <599@aurora.UUCP> jaw@aurora.UUCP (James A. Woods) writes:
>>just wondering why purveyors of "totally free" unix-like software
>>seem overly concerned with the law, as the gnu project appears to be.
>
>No, probably not.  However, they have provided the public legal standing
>to take action against anyone who attempts to defraud them by selling GNU.
>They have provided protection not for _themselves_, but for _you_.

   I think a restatement of the GNU restrictions would be a good idea at
this point.  It's been a while since I've read the manifesto myself, but
I seem to recall that they try to restrict considerably more than simply
reselling the GNU software.  I honestly don't remember why I came to that
conclusion, though (hence the request for enlightenment).
--

 - Joel ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster)

Disclaimer:
  The above, unless otherwise labeled, constitutes personal belief & opinion.

uh2@psuvm.bitnet.UUCP (01/25/87)

I vote that all further debates about GNU occur elsewhere.

mb@ttidca.UUCP (01/27/87)

Listening to these diatribes on the "one true way" to distribute
software is getting very tiring.

Please!!!!!!  Can we move this discussion to talk.religion.minix&gnu?

This is not the place to discuss differing philosophies on how
software should be distributed, hoarded, worn, or whatever.

net.religion.* were just about the first groups I unsubscribed to
after bringing up news.  I don't want to have to unsubscribe to the
technical newsgroups too!

jgray@pilchuck.UUCP (01/29/87)

In article <344@ttidca.UUCP>, mb@ttidca.UUCP (Michael Bloom) writes:

> Please!!!!!!  Can we move this discussion to talk.religion.minix&gnu?
> This is not the place to discuss differing philosophies on how
> software should be distributed, hoarded, worn, or whatever.

It seems to be typical of all fledgling techno-topical newsgroups to dwell
heavily on the philosophical aspects of a new product. Quite frankly it
will be some time before enough people have hands-on MINIX experience
and bring the techno-discussion level up to more satisfying levels.
For a recent historical example, do you recall what the original postings
for Amigas and Atari ST's covered. I'm sure you would have complained there
too.

As for me I find most of the articles useful in the sense that what is not
techno-pleasing provides valuable background on where these non-techno-turkeys
are coming from ;-).

		Jerrold (not afraid to make up words) Gray