[comp.os.minix] UNIX clone with SOURCE CODE available now

merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) (01/22/87)

> > In article <5840001@hpvcla.HP.COM> ericr@hpvcla.HP.COM (Eric Ross) writes:
> [... much omitted ...]
> > one posted here.  And I know that one of my co-workers was equally
> > pleased -- we both stopped by a local B. Dalton and placed orders
> > for the book.

     The book is published by Prentice-Hall.  They are represented
at the Uniforum conference, and they have the book IN STOCK!  The
source code distributions are available February 15.

     They can't accept cash, check, or charge cards, but you can
take a book with you and they will bill you later.  Books are
$36.95 each, with a 10% show discount.  The source code is $79.95,
and is available for 256K PC, 640K PC, PC-AT, or on 9-track magtape.

     I just found out about this yesterday, or I would have given
more notice.  Hope this helps some of you.

	David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon
	PhoneNet:	(202) 694-6900
	ARPA:		merlin%hqda-ai.uucp@brl-smoke
	UUCP:		...!seismo!sundc!hqda-ai!merlin
--
	David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon
	PhoneNet:	(202) 694-6900
	ARPA:		merlin%hqda-ai.uucp@brl-smoke
	UUCP:		...!seismo!sundc!hqda-ai!merlin

ken@argus.UUCP (01/30/87)

In article <249@hqda-ai.UUCP>, merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) writes:
[edited query on Minix availability]
>      The book is published by Prentice-Hall.  They are represented
> at the Uniforum conference, and they have the book IN STOCK!  The
> source code distributions are available February 15.
>      They can't accept cash, check, or charge cards, but you can
> take a book with you and they will bill you later.
They can't accept cash?  They go on our good faith to pay them back
or something?

berry@solaria.UUCP (01/30/87)

In article <740@argus.UUCP> ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) writes:
>In article <249@hqda-ai.UUCP>, merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) writes:
>[edited query on Minix availability]
>>      The book is published by Prentice-Hall.  They are represented
>> at the Uniforum conference, and they have the book IN STOCK!  The
>> source code distributions are available February 15.
>>      They can't accept cash, check, or charge cards, but you can
>> take a book with you and they will bill you later.
>They can't accept cash?  They go on our good faith to pay them back
>or something?

This was only at Uniforum, which is now over so the question is moot.
It seems there is some sort of regulation that forbids monetary transactions
on the trade show floor.  They would not let me take a book out; but I
expect my prefessor's copy any day now anyway.  Oddly enough, Addison
Wesley *would* let me take a book out.  Hmmm.
  Then there was always Jim Joyce's bookstore in the Hilton, where
you can buy the book, take it home and have a nice glass of wine too!

--
"We can't stand around doing nothing -- people will think we're workmen!"
	Prof. Ned Quatermass

rpw3@amdcad.UUCP (01/31/87)

+---------------
| >>      The book is published by Prentice-Hall.  They are represented
| >> at the Uniforum conference, and they have the book IN STOCK!  The
| >> source code distributions are available February 15.
| >>      They can't accept cash, check, or charge cards, but you can
| >> take a book with you and they will bill you later.
| >They can't accept cash?  They go on our good faith to pay them back
| >or something?
+---------------

There is often a problem with "selling off the floor" at trade shows, in
that the local/state/federal tax/biz_lic/etc laws are very messy, so that
at most (not all) trade shows such as UniForum "selling off the floor" is
prohibited. For one thing, UniForum is incorporated as a non-for-profit
trade (educational) association, and such selling jeopardizes its tax status.
Selling the books "on account" is used as a way around the letter of the law.

Prentice-Hall was just trying to do folks a favor, because the demand was
simply overwhelming! And yes, they trust you to pay, just like any company
that gives "net 30 day" terms, since your acceptance of the book implies
a contract (verbal contracts are still legal, believe it or not!).

In fact, since they had seriously underestimated the demand for floppies,
they were all gone before USENIX even started (a few days after UniForum
began). With Tanenbaum's blessing, they even allowed a few people to copy
their last set of floppies (on the assumption that such accomodation will
generate further sales of both the book and the software -- true, in my case).

And yes, the stuff DID just come up and boot on Epson "AT"s, real IBM AT's,
and the one other "Brand X" clone I tried...

Incidently, you need the book at hand, since it comes up and says "login:"
and as it has no "guest" or "demo" accounts, without the book you're stuck!
(But both the "ast" and "root" passwords are in the book. Appendix C, I think).

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	{amdcad,fortune,sun}!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	(415)572-2607
USPS:	627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403