[comp.os.minix] Minix - Memory and UUCP questions

meg@chinet.UUCP (01/26/87)

Like just about everyone else, I have my MINIX book on order too.  Pardon
me if I am asking questions that have been answered already, but the system
from which I normally read news is not getting regular feeds.

1.  I have an XT with 640k plus a couple of AST RAMpages - any way to use
    that extra memory??

2.  Does MINIX have UUCP capability, or is it to have it in the (near) future?

--
  Meg Geddes  Chinet - Chicago, Illinois
  !ihnp4!itivax!m-net!meg or !ihnp4!chinet!meg

  (Normally Meg Geddes at M-Net, but you know how these things go)

wegrzyn@cdx39.UUCP (01/30/87)

 In reference to UUCP on Minix, Andy Tanenbaum has already indicated that none
is available with the release of the Minix sources. Perhaps we can all write
Email to lauren!vortex and ask him to place is version of UUCP (called UULINK)
in the public (with the same copyright restrictions and costs as Minix).
Lauren sells UULINK for MSDOS for $300.00, I believe.

 As for using RAMpages, having read the book and looked at the source code, it
should be easy to add it. I am writing a driver for a Tall Trees board - I am
going to use it as a ram disk. It appears to be a simple task.

 					Chuck Wegrzyn

		      			cdx39!wegrzyn

cccbruce@deneb.UUCP (02/01/87)

In article <629@cdx39.UUCP> wegrzyn@cdx39.UUCP (Chuck Wegrzyn) writes:

> As for using RAMpages, having read the book and looked at the source code, it
>should be easy to add it. I am writing a driver for a Tall Trees board - I am
>going to use it as a ram disk. It appears to be a simple task.
>
> 					Chuck Wegrzyn

How about the extended memory of the AT's.  Wouldn't it be simpler to have
a single device driver that could use either?

					...bruce

--
 Bruce K. Martin Jr. [UUCP] ...{lll-crg,ucbvax}!ucdavis!deneb!cccbruce
 (916) 756-6518      [ARPA] ucdavis!deneb!cccbruce@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

thomps@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Ken Thompson) (02/01/87)

In article <629@cdx39.UUCP>, wegrzyn@cdx39.UUCP (Chuck Wegrzyn) writes:

> Perhaps we can all write
> Email to lauren!vortex and ask him to place is version of UUCP (called UULINK)
> in the public (with the same copyright restrictions and costs as Minix).
> Lauren sells UULINK for MSDOS for $300.00, I believe.

Why should we expect Lauren to be altruistic. I know from past history it
took him a lot of work to develop a uucp clone without violating AT&T's
copywrites. If he can sell it for $300, not an unreasonable price,
assumming it works. Why should he sell it for less and allow people to
copy it to boot. Lauren developed UULINK to make money. I suspect
Dr. Tananbaum's goals in developing MINIX were somewhat different. I
also suspect Prentice Hall views the software as a way to increase sales
of the book and that is why they do not have a restrictive liscensing
agreement.

I get tired of people in the micro world always expecting people to give
them something. It is a market, like any other. People charge what the
traffic will bear. In a capitalistic society, it is unreasonable to expect
them to do otherwise. If you don't like the situation, do something about
it (ala Richard Stallman). Instead of expecting Lauren to give you
a break, write a public domain version yourself.

--
Ken Thompson  Phone : (404) 894-7089
Georgia Tech Research Institute

wegrzyn@cdx39.UUCP (02/02/87)

> I get tired of people in the micro world always expecting people to give
> them something. It is a market, like any other. People charge what the
> traffic will bear. In a capitalistic society, it is unreasonable to expect
> them to do otherwise. If you don't like the situation, do something about
> it (ala Richard Stallman). Instead of expecting Lauren to give you
> a break, write a public domain version yourself.
>
> --
> Ken Thompson  Phone : (404) 894-7089
> Georgia Tech Research Institute
> Georgia Insitute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
> ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!thomps

  Hey, back off! I get tired of people that jump to conclusions, particularly
when they don't know what they are talking about. If Ken has anything to say
that is useful and relevant to the discussion he should say it, otherwise he
ought to refrain from speculation (or at least say it is speculation).

  While I believe in making software available to the public, I believe that
it should be reasonably priced. I don't believe in religions, like GNU,
and preachers like Richard Stallman. I know both Lauren and Richard; I don't
know Ken. Perhaps Ken with next time find out about the things he doesn't
know before he opens his mouth. Thinking and reasoning are things don't come
naturally to human beings but require a certain level of effort at trying
to master.

  I stand by what I said - perhaps Lauren can be persuaded to modify UULINK to
run under Minix (or allow someone else to do it), and sell it at a price
inline with Minix's pricing (or the C compiler).