[comp.os.minix] Prentice-Hall's Return Policy

imd@ihlpl.UUCP (01/16/87)

Let's say I purchase MINIX, only to find that my IBM/AT-clone falls
in the 20% that Andy said MINIX would not run on.  Will Prentice-Hall
graciously accept the return of the software?

Thanks.

Ira Dworkin
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville, IL

ihnp4!ihlpl!imd

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (01/19/87)

> Let's say I purchase MINIX, only to find that my IBM/AT-clone falls
> in the 20% that Andy said MINIX would not run on.  Will Prentice-Hall
> graciously accept the return of the software?
> Ira Dworkin
> AT&T Bell Labs

Let's say I purchase UNIX, only to find that my IBM/AT-clone falls
in the percentage of machines that UNIX would not run on.  Will AT&T
graciously accept the return of the software?
--
UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.
PC and AT are trademarks of IBM.

tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) (01/20/87)

In article <7318@elsie.UUCP>, ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:

> Let's say I purchase UNIX, only to find that my IBM/AT-clone falls
> in the percentage of machines that UNIX would not run on.  Will AT&T
> graciously accept the return of the software?

AT&T sells UNIX (tm) only for its UNIX (tm) PCs, 3B1, 3700,
3B2, and the AT&T 6300+.

Did I miss something?  I have seen no announcements for AT&T
UNIX(tm) for IBM-AT, clones or otherwise.  Please send me the
product announcement if I am wrong and I will research the
and post the refund policies; otherwise, please admit the
cheap shot.

--
    -----                   Terry Sterkel
  -====----            AT&T Bell Laboratories

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (01/21/87)

In article <7318@elsie.UUCP> ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
>> Let's say I purchase MINIX, only to find that my IBM/AT-clone falls
>> in the 20% that Andy said MINIX would not run on.  Will Prentice-Hall
>> graciously accept the return of the software?
>
> Let's say I purchase UNIX, only to find that my IBM/AT-clone falls
> in the percentage of machines that UNIX would not run on.  Will AT&T
> graciously accept the return of the software?

What does AT&T have to do with Prentice-Hall?  If you are trying to say
that they have the same return policy, then why don't you just say so?
--
Religion: just say "no"

Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim   Compuserve: 72257,3706
                Delphi or GEnie: mnementh

jtr485@umich.UUCP (Johnathan Tainter) (01/21/87)

In article <7318@elsie.UUCP>, ado@elsie.UUCP writes:
> > Let's say I purchase MINIX, only to find that my IBM/AT-clone falls
> > in the 20% that Andy said MINIX would not run on.  Will Prentice-Hall
> > graciously accept the return of the software?
> > Ira Dworkin
> Let's say I purchase UNIX, only to find that my IBM/AT-clone falls
> in the percentage of machines that UNIX would not run on.  Will AT&T
> graciously accept the return of the software?
If AT&T were marketing UNIX for 100 bucks a pop you bet your balls they would.
Good and cheap p.r. is hard to come by.
At the higher pricing scheme, it is expected more caution will be taken,
and total sales will be smaller thus the frequency of this occurence will go
down.  That makes a refunding policy cost prohibitive.
--j.a.tainter

dan@prairie.UUCP (Daniel M. Frank) (01/22/87)

In article <1223@whuts.UUCP> tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) writes:
>I have seen no announcements for AT&T
>UNIX(tm) for IBM-AT, clones or otherwise.  Please send me the
>product announcement if I am wrong and I will research the
>and post the refund policies; otherwise, please admit the
>cheap shot.

   Microport Systems of Scotts Valley, CA. sells AT&T System V/286
(System V Release 2) under the name System V/AT, for the PC/AT and
compatibles.  Thus, this is not officially sold by AT&T, but, if
we are to believe the ubiquitous copyright notices, is certainly
AT&T Unix (System V/286 forms the basis for the 6300+ Unix that
IS sold by AT&T).

   I suspect, in answer to the original question, that Microport
would try very hard (i.e. put programmers on it) to make SV/AT
work with almost any reasonable compatible, and as a last resort
would probably take the package back.  I cannot be sure, however.
If you're interested, you can call them at 1-800-722-8649.

   By the way, as a comparison, this OS sells for about $400,
complete.  Minix sounds great as far as it goes, but if you have
an AT and would like to use extended memory (and large model programs,
or didn't you notice?), this might be a better choice.

--
    Dan Frank
    uucp: ... uwvax!prairie!dan

deh@eneevax.UUCP (Douglas Humphrey) (01/23/87)

In article <401@prairie.UUCP> dan@prairie.UUCP (Daniel M. Frank) writes:
>In article <1223@whuts.UUCP> tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) writes:
>>I have seen no announcements for AT&T
>>UNIX(tm) for IBM-AT, clones or otherwise.  Please send me the
>>product announcement if I am wrong and I will research the
>>and post the refund policies; otherwise, please admit the
>>cheap shot.
>
>   Microport Systems of Scotts Valley, CA. sells AT&T System V/286
>(System V Release 2) under the name System V/AT, for the PC/AT and
>compatibles.  Thus, this is not officially sold by AT&T, but, if
>we are to believe the ubiquitous copyright notices, is certainly
>AT&T Unix (System V/286 forms the basis for the 6300+ Unix that

	Microport's System V is NOT!! the version sold by AT&T for
the 6300 Plus.  But since Microport did their work from the Intel
port of vanilla SysV for the '286 commissioned by AT&T, utilities
are compatible between the two.  Microport's kernel won't run on
the 6300 Plus due to its incomplete AT compatibility.

					Bob Halloran, Consultant
UUCP: ..rutgers!unirot!halloran		DDD: 201-251-7514 eve ET
Internet: unirot!halloran@rutgers.edu	ATTMail: RHALLORAN
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter Thompson
* Doug Humphrey  Digital Express Inc.  6411 Ivy Lane  Greenbelt MD  USA 20770 *
*                                      Voice: 202/220-2020  Arpa: deh@eneevax *

dan@prairie.UUCP (Daniel M. Frank) (01/25/87)

                ---------------

>	Microport's System V is NOT!! the version sold by AT&T for
>the 6300 Plus.  But since Microport did their work from the Intel
>port of vanilla SysV for the '286 commissioned by AT&T, utilities
>are compatible between the two.

   I think you misunderstood.  My claim was that SysV/286 was the
starting point for both products.  The 6300+ product is in fact
packaged much differently, with HoneyDanBer UUCP, and, I think, the
ksh, as well as the SimulTask DOS bridge software.

   I could be wrong about the original claim.  Clearly they both start
with the original AT&T source code, and since the AT&T copyright appears
on the 286 code as well, I believe there is a common ancestor.

--

tes@whuts.UUCP (01/25/87)

In article <401@prairie.UUCP*>, dan@prairie.UUCP (Daniel M. Frank) writes:
*> In article <1223@whuts.UUCP> tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) writes:
*> >Please send me the
*> >product announcement if I am wrong and I will research the
*> >and post the refund policies; otherwise, please admit the
*> >cheap shot.
*>
*>    Microport Systems of Scotts Valley, CA. sells AT&T System V/286
*> (System V Release 2) under the name System V/AT, for the PC/AT and
*> compatibles.  Thus, this is not officially sold by AT&T,

No go, if it is not *sold* by AT&T with AT&T logos, etc.
I am off the hook.  (Am I GLAD I added those conditions! :-)

A minor side issue,
I did not say I was going to call around to verify claims of
AT&T products.  Please note (as stated in original posting)
that I will follow up "product announcements" *sent* to me.
With the product announcement in my hands (photocopy will do),
I stand a chance of doing a good job of running down the
product manager and getting answers.  Obviously,
"I think I know of...." does not cut it.

Final Note:  This is a Minix newsgroup, please e-mail me
if you want to follow-up.  I will give out my full address
to anyone with product announcements.  IF there are results,
even embarrasing ones, I will put it in comp.sys.ibm.pc.
and try my hand at getting into the mod.sys.ibm.pc.

It is unfair to the Minix crowd to tie up their newsgroup.
--

johnw@astroatc.UUCP (01/29/87)

In article <7318@elsie.UUCP> ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
>PC and AT are trademarks of IBM.

*NO****************NO*******************NO*

PC means "Personal Computer" which includes Mac's, Atari's,
	Amiga's, etc.etc.etc.

"IBM-PC" may be an ibm tm, but not "PC" by itself

		John W and the committee to stomp out the
			miss-use of the term "PC"

Name:	John F. Wardale
UUCP:	... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} !uwvax!astroatc!johnw
arpa:   astroatc!johnw@rsch.wisc.edu
snail:	5800 Cottage Gr. Rd. ;;; Madison WI 53716
audio:	608-221-9001 eXt 110

To err is human, to really foul up world news requires the net!

rpw3@amdcad.UUCP (01/31/87)

My understanding (*) is that P-H *will* return your $80 if MINIX doesn't
run on your clone. Quote attributed to the P-H folks in the booth at
Uniforum: "We're not out to screw anybody".

(* From talking with people during USENIX + talking to P-H @ Uniforum + gossip)

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	{amdcad,fortune,sun}!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	(415)572-2607
USPS:	627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403

pritch@osupyr.UUCP (02/03/87)

In article <119@astroatc.UUCP> johnw@astroatc.UUCP (John F. Wardale) writes:
>In article <7318@elsie.UUCP> ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
>>PC and AT are trademarks of IBM.

>PC means "Personal Computer" which includes Mac's, Atari's,
>	Amiga's, etc.etc.etc.
>
>"IBM-PC" may be an ibm tm, but not "PC" by itself
>
>		John W and the committee to stomp out the
>			miss-use of the term "PC"

>Name:	John F. Wardale
>UUCP:	... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} !uwvax!astroatc!johnw

And depending on who you talk to someone might says its a protocol converter
or a programmable controller.