[comp.os.minix] RLL controler

darren@ethos.UUCP (01/28/87)

I just read about the RLL (Run Length Limited) controlers in the
Febuary issue of Computer Shoper.  It seems almost too good to be
true.  Has anyone tried these controlers that could report on their
performance/compatibility?  And the big question, will it work with
MINIX?

  *----=====-----=====-----=====-----=====-----=====-----=====----*
 //  Darren Friedlein,  ANSI-FX software     Phone: 919/596-7746  \\
((   Rt 4  Box 416, Durham, NC  27703               919/596-9492   ))
 \\            ...{burl,cbosgd,ihnp4,mcnc}!ethos!darren           //
  *----=====-----=====-----=====-----=====-----=====-----=====----*
     Zaphod Beeblebrox is now appearing in "No Sex Please, We're
     Amoeboids and Gatularians" at the Bruntos Vogon Star House.

sjk@onecom.UUCP (01/30/87)

> I just read about the RLL (Run Length Limited) controlers in the
> Febuary issue of Computer Shoper.  It seems almost too good to be
> true.  Has anyone tried these controlers that could report on their
> performance/compatibility?  And the big question, will it work with
> MINIX?

I have been using an OMTI RLL controller with a Seagate ST238 drive to
   give me 30Mb on my Columbia MPC (IBM-PC compatable). I works
   perfectly and I see a noticeable performance improvement over my old
   10Mb Tandon drive.

I bought mine from Command Systems, a company I recommend highly for
   all disk products. They are very knowledgeable and very reliable.

	Command Systems
	7143 Henry Clay Blvd.
	Liverpool, NY 13088
	(800) 782-5500

Usual disclaimers apply.
--
Scott J. Kamin			{stcvax, isis, ihnp4}!onecom!sjk
TelWatch Inc.	(formerly OneCom, Inc.)

alexande@drivax.UUCP (02/02/87)

In article <244@onecom.UUCP> sjk@zeus.UUCP (Scott J. Kamin) writes:
>> I just read about the RLL (Run Length Limited) controlers in the
>> Febuary issue of Computer Shoper.  It seems almost too good to be
>> true.
>I have been using an OMTI RLL controller with a Seagate ST238 drive to
>   give me 30Mb on my Columbia MPC (IBM-PC compatable). I works
>   perfectly and I see a noticeable performance improvement over my old
>   10Mb Tandon drive.

I believe there is a problem using the RLL controllers with older drives.
The RLL controllers require new drives with better specs.  They
may appear to work at first with old drives, but eventually you
get disk errors that can't be recovered.  The Seagate ST238 was designed
to work with RLL controllers, I think.  Maybe some knowledgable
person out there can give us a list of other drives that work, too.
--
Mark Alexander	...{hplabs,ucbvax!decvax}!decwrl!pyramid!amdahl!drivax!alexande
"This then is my story.  I have reread it.  It has bits of marrow

dick@zaphod.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (02/04/87)

In article <860@drivax.UUCP> alexande@drivax.UUCP (Mark Alexander) writes:
>In article <244@onecom.UUCP> sjk@zeus.UUCP (Scott J. Kamin) writes:
>>I have been using an OMTI RLL controller with a Seagate ST238 drive to
>>   give me 30Mb on my Columbia MPC (IBM-PC compatable). I works
>>   perfectly and I see a noticeable performance improvement over my old
>>   10Mb Tandon drive.

I'm sorry, folks, but you've just managed to confuse the kid here (me):

	I thought the Seagate ST238 started out life as a 38MB (unformatted)
	drive that, after normal formatting, could be expected to give
	you 30MB usable.  What is special about the RLL controller giving
	Scott 30MB?  I think I have missed something here, but I'm not
	sure what!

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD
...!ucbvax!decwrl!sun!plx!dick