[comp.os.minix] Question: Minix and NFS

hp@lanl.UUCP (01/29/87)

Does anybody have any plans to add ethernet/NFS support to Minix?
A network of Minix PC's mounting NFS files would be a terrific
extension to a Sun network ...

     ...Akkana
     akkana%cnls@lanl.arpa   hp@lanl.arpa   ihnp4!escher!cnls!akkana
     Center for Nonlinear Studies,    Los Alamos National Laboratory

cramer@clem.UUCP (01/30/87)

In article <12034@lanl.ARPA> akkana%cnls@lanl.arpa (Akkana) writes:

>Does anybody have any plans to add ethernet/NFS support to Minix?
>A network of Minix PC's mounting NFS files would be a terrific
>extension to a Sun network ...

At a recent talk Tanenbaum said that folks at Newcastle were
thinking of bringing the Newcastle Connection up on Minix.  He said
that if they do, they'll probably do the ethernet support (if someone
hasn't beaten them to it, I suppose).

Sam Cramer	uucp:	{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun!cramer
		arpanet: cramer@sun.com

lindsay@cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk (Lindsay F. Marshall) (02/05/87)

In article <12408@sun.uucp> cramer@sun.UUCP (Sam Cramer) writes:
>At a recent talk Tanenbaum said that folks at Newcastle were
>thinking of bringing the Newcastle Connection up on Minix.  He said
>that if they do, they'll probably do the ethernet support (if someone
>hasn't beaten them to it, I suppose).

Well, we certainly are thinking about doing something like this, but......

1) Whatever we do (if anything) it WONT be the Newcastle Connection, but
something new using the same sort of principles, and probably without
all the stuff for working between different UN*X versions (we are not
free to do as we please with the NCX.) A lot depends on the suitability
of MINIX for what we would want to do; we have the source, but not the
book and so have not started looking at it in earnest yet.  However if
we do implement such a system it will have the full functionality of
Minix over the network, not just file access (i.e. remote execution etc.)

2) We havent yet decided what sort of networking we would want to
support.  The PCs that we have have no networking hardware of any kind
so it is VERY unlikely that we will be producing an ethernet driver in
the forseeable future!!! (Of course if someone were to give us some
networking hardware.....:-) ) I would be interested to know what sort of
hardware people are actually using - please mail me, dont post.  One
thing that we might do is a VERY simple RS232 based "network" driver.

3) Our aim in all this would we be to produce something that will work
on cheapo hardware with cheapo networking which would be suitable for
teaching about building various sorts of distributed systems.  Similar
to Andy`s aim in producing Minix in fact - we dont want to do a GNU type
network UN*X.

Lindsay

Lindsay F.  Marshall, Computing Lab., U of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, UK
  ARPA  : lindsay%cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa
  JANET : lindsay@uk.ac.newcastle.cheviot
  UUCP  : <UK>!ukc!cheviot!lindsay