[comp.os.minix] hardware, not the OS; 32016 port

mb@ttidca.UUCP (02/02/87)

In article <1976@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery)
writes that he is unhappy with unix for several reasons.  While some
of his reasons for preferring minix might be valid, at least one is not.

>Most of it is 75% or more done.  It's ``proposed'' because my development
>environment is a P/60 with hardware problems (crashes 3-5 times a day!  )-:

In particular, (while your experience may be different than mine), Those p60's
and p35's I've worked with have all had hardware problems of the 'flaky'
sort. Friends of mine report similarly.

>Re: AT&T not supporting our ``toys'' (i.e. broken Unix System V):  if they
					    ^^^^^^
Please don't equate the system with the machine.  While I too prefer
4.x BSD to SysV, I would not refer to SysV as "broken", just plain (in terms
of features) - that along with an unexciting personality :-)

My own personal computer contains an NSC ICM3216, and runs sys5 (the
only os currently available for it).  I'd like to get together with
other owners of machines using this board to get MINIX up and running
on it.  While it would be a hefty job to do single handed, I think
that with several people involved, after making it properly utilize
the machines' memory management, it would not be unrealistic to have
an additional set of goals that would include the addition of the
necessary signal support for job control and possibly putting virtual
crt support into the kernel.  Anyone with ICM's interested in this
project?

On a separate, but related, subject: a while back someone posted a
copy of a letter allegedly written by Mark Horton, listing in detail
those portions of the 4.2 BSD distribution which contain no AT&T code
and are in the public domain.  It would be useful to know what
portions of the 4.2 dist would be legal for use in MINIX. If anyone
still has a copy of that, could you please mail me a copy?

cwruacm@cwruecmp.UUCP (02/05/87)

In article <371@ttidca.UUCP> mb@ttidca.UUCP (The  of all Evil) writes:

++ On a separate, but related, subject: a while back someone posted a
++ copy of a letter allegedly written by Mark Horton, listing in detail
++ those portions of the 4.2 BSD distribution which contain no AT&T code
++ and are in the public domain.  It would be useful to know what
++ portions of the 4.2 dist would be legal for use in MINIX. If anyone
++ still has a copy of that, could you please mail me a copy?

I would like a copy, too, please...

Chet Ramey

Trademark is a Disclaimer of Bell Labs

ARPANET:  cwruacm%case@relay.cs.net