[comp.os.minix] Minix Copyright Info and A Quick Book Review

wegrzyn@cdx39.UUCP (01/29/87)

  I just received a copy of Andy Tanenbaum's book : Operating Systems - Design
and Implementation. He did a very nice job - he included everything I teach in
my OS class (we build our own OS in the class very similar to Minix).

  After reading the book I turned to the listings in the back and read the
copyright notice. The notice was interesting because it didn't jive with the
statement Andy made about "small numbers of copies" can be distributed. The
copyright goes (taken from the book)

   Copyright (C) 1987 by Prentice-Hall, Inc. Permission is hereby granted to
   private individuals and educational institutions to modify and
   redistribute the binary and source programs of this system to other
   private individuals and educational institutions for educational and
   research purposed. For corporate or commercial use, permission from
   Prentice-Hall is required. In general, such permission will be granted,
   subject to a few conditions.

At last, a copyright notice that doesn't require religion (read that as GNU).
This copyright means that it is possible to distribute this to just about
anyone. That is nice.

tower@mit-eddie.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <625@cdx39.UUCP> wegrzyn@cdx39.UUCP (Chuck Wegrzyn) writes:

|   ... <text from book review deleted>
|
|The copyright goes (taken from the book)
|
|   Copyright (C) 1987 by Prentice-Hall, Inc. Permission is hereby granted to
|   private individuals and educational institutions to modify and
|   redistribute the binary and source programs of this system to other
|   private individuals and educational institutions for educational and
|   research purposed. For corporate or commercial use, permission from
|   Prentice-Hall is required. In general, such permission will be granted,
|   subject to a few conditions.
|
|At last, a copyright notice that doesn't require religion (read that as GNU).
|This copyright means that it is possible to distribute this to just about
|anyone. That is nice.

Note that the above copyright notice lets you use Minix in ways which
are a strictly proper subset of the ways in which the GNU copylefts
let you use GNU.  That is, anything one is allowed to do with Minix
software, one is also allowed to do with GNU software.  Of course, one
is allowed to do considerably more with GNU software ...

Also, nobody has the slightest obligation to agree with RMS's ethical
principles in order to use or distribute GNU software, even though the
hope that people will take them up is part of what motivates the
project.

Further information on GNU is available from internet address:

	gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu

--
Len Tower, Project GNU of the Free Software Foundation
	   1000 Mass. Ave., Cambridge, MA  02138, USA +1 (617) 876-3296

ron@unirot.UUCP (02/10/87)

Len,

	Guess again.  The MINIX copyright/license is not a subset of the
GNU one.  Note the lack of any obligation of the copier to provide
source code to the recipient "at any time in the future."
The obligation to distribute GNU as specified in the
license is the major reason most people shy away from doing anything
with the code.  While we are generally willing to use GNU and give
away the products, the liability to play software clearing house
forever as a result is quite a burden.

In addition, note that the license on MINIX is open ended, the terms
for commercial use aren't specified and more than likely will not
be the same as those in GNU.

tower@mit-eddie.UUCP (02/21/87)

In article <336@unirot.UUCP> ron@unirot.UUCP (Ron Natalie) writes:
 > Len,
 >
 > 	Guess again.  The MINIX copyright/license is not a subset of the
 > GNU one.  Note the lack of any obligation of the copier to provide
 > source code to the recipient "at any time in the future."
 > The obligation to distribute GNU as specified in the
 > license is the major reason most people shy away from doing anything
 > with the code.  While we are generally willing to use GNU and give
 > away the products, the liability to play software clearing house
 > forever as a result is quite a burden.

Ron:

The Gnu Public License provides a distributor of GNU based software
with several options for fulfilling the obligation to make full source
code available.  The first option is to distribute full source code
immediately with each software distribution.  Use of this option
fulfills entirely, for all time, one's obligation under the license to
distribute source code for that software distribution.  If a
distributor uses this option alone, he has no liability to play
software clearing house forever.

Copies of the license are available from:
   <gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu>
aka
   ..!mit-eddie!mit-prep!gnu