[comp.os.minix] TCP/IP on minix

pingel@wang7.UUCP (02/26/87)

Now that several of us are working on uucp, who is working on TCP/IP?

It would be nice to get REAL network software.  UUCP is nice, but...

--
Lee Pingel, M/S 014-790			  harvard!vaxine!ima--+
Wang Laboratories Inc.			decvax!wanginst!wang--+---wang7!pingel

karn@faline.UUCP (02/27/87)

> Now that several of us are working on uucp, who is working on TCP/IP?

I have written a TCP/IP from scratch in C for MS-DOS which I and many
others are now running. Besides fullblown TCP and IP/ICMP, it contains
SLIP, ARP, Ethernet and AX.25 (amateur packet radio) link drivers, UDP, and
clients and servers for SMTP, FTP and Telnet. At present routing tables
are manually controlled, and there is no domain support (you need to specify
IP addresses).

Since I was more interested in writing protocol code than in reinventing
another toy operating system, I structured the code as a big commutator
loop with extensive use of upcalls. I was pleasantly surprised to see
how far I got with this approach, but I was also hoping that something
just like MINIX might come along. However I'm in a holding pattern until
I am able to get the MINIX source.

I did this work specifically for amateur packet radio, but I'm willing
to kick it out into the MINIX community for noncommercial use.  Copies
of the current MS-DOS version can be found on louie.udel.edu (10.0.0.96)
as /pub/net*.cpio.Z.

Phil

hays@apollo.UUCP (02/28/87)

In article <1036@wang7.UUCP> pingel@wang7.UUCP (pingel) writes:

>Now that several of us are working on uucp, who is working on TCP/IP?
>
>It would be nice to get REAL network software.  UUCP is nice, but...

Phil Karn at Bell Labs has produced some real nice TCP/IP stuff for ham
radio packet networking.  It has drivers for the 3-Com Ethernet/802.3 controller,
a HDLC-PAD called the PC-100, and SLIP.

It is copywrited and available for cost of media ($5.00) in source form
with binaries for the IBM-PC under DOS.

If someone is interested in Porting it -- Phil's main rule is that you don't
make money off his intellectual property.

>It has been announced several times on this forum, but
>once again it is available by anonymous FTP from louie.udel.edu (10.0.0.96) as
>/pub/net*.cpio.Z.  You can also get it on MS-DOS format floppies by sending $5
>to cover costs to WB6RQN at his callbook addresss. It is almost all in C,
>except for the obligatory 8088 assembler interrupt vector code.  Porting
>efforts are hereby solicited.  (* FROM PHIL *)

John

--
John D. Hays, Consultant             UUCP: ...!decvax!wanginst!apollo!hays
Corporate Systems Engineering              ...!uw-beaver!apollo!hays

halloran@unirot.UUCP (02/28/87)

In article <1036@wang7.UUCP> pingel@wang7.UUCP (pingel) writes:

>Now that several of us are working on uucp, who is working on TCP/IP?
>
>It would be nice to get REAL network software.  UUCP is nice, but...

There was recently an item posted in net.ham-radio.packet regarding
a TCP implementation for use in packet radio.  It is available by
anonymous FTP from louie.udel.edu as /pub/net*Z (compressed ASCII
cpio archives).  This might make a good starting point for such
work.

					Bob Halloran, Consultant
UUCP: rutgers!unirot!halloran			DDD: (201)251-7514 eve ET
CSNet/ARPA: unirot!halloran@rutgers.edu
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai

karn@faline.UUCP (03/03/87)

In article <335f0fa7.9540@apollo.uucp>, hays@apollo.UUCP writes:
> Phil Karn at Bell Labs has produced some real nice TCP/IP stuff for ham

A couple of things:

1. I haven't worked for Bell Labs since December 31, 1983 (over 3 years ago).

2. I wrote this package on my own time, at home, on my own PC. I did this
specifically so I would be free to give it to the amateur packet radio
community; for this reason I would feel better if people did not mention my
employer in connection with this project.

Noncommercial, educational and/or individual use (i.e., the kinds of things
MINIX is also intended for) is fine by me, even if you're not a ham; as John
says, the only thing I object to is somebody making money off my efforts.
I am most interested in porting my code to MINIX, and if someone volunteers
to help, it'll get done that much faster. A MINIX system running my TCP/IP
would be an ideal server node on the amateur radio network.

Phil

bdale@winfree.UUCP (03/03/87)

In article <1036@wang7.UUCP> pingel@wang7.UUCP (pingel) writes:
>Now that several of us are working on uucp, who is working on TCP/IP?

Phil Karn KA9Q and I are planning to port the KA9Q Internet package currently
being run under MS-Dos on packet radio over to Minix.  We've just now gotten
hold of the sources, so no idea yet exactly what we're going to do or how
long it's going to take, but we're working on it.

Ask again in a couple of months.
--

Bdale Garbee, N3EUA		phone: 303/593-9828 h, 303/590-2868 w
uucp: {bellcore,crash,hp-lsd,hpcsma,ncc,pitt,usafa,vixie}!winfree!bdale

tom@vrdxhq.UUCP (03/03/87)

When the IBM AT BIOS does a disk read or write, it first outputs
a command to the command port of the disk controller.  It always waits
for this action (giving the command) to complete.  However, when it
actually starts the read/write operation, it makes a call to a routine
called WAIT (page 5-111) of IBM AT Tech Ref, and that routine does a
INT 15H to signal it's gone into a wait loop.  At this point, save the state
of the machine, and dispatch another task.  Then, when the disk operation
completes, it will issue another INT 15H (with a different code in AX).
Simply (ha ha!) restore the state of the machine and go back to where
you where in BIOS.  Be aware, however, that you need a real operating
system on top of this that can serialize disk requests because, though
some things like BIOS provide a little bit of re-entrancy with the
POSt-and-WAIT operations, the usual PC disk controllers are NOT
"re-entrant" (i.e. only one I/O channel).

karn@faline.UUCP (03/06/87)

In article <223@winfree.UUCP>, bdale@winfree.UUCP (Bdale Garbee) writes:
> Phil Karn KA9Q and I are planning to port the KA9Q Internet package currently
> being run under MS-Dos on packet radio over to Minix.  We've just now gotten
> hold of the sources, so no idea yet exactly what we're going to do or how
> long it's going to take, but we're working on it.

But don't let us stop you if you are ready and eager to take on then
task yourself!

Phil