[comp.os.minix] uucp vs kermit

ken@argus.UUCP (04/01/87)

In article <122@njitsc1.UUCP>, bc@njitsc1.UUCP (Bill Cheswick) writes:
> In article <7319@boring.mcvax.cwi.nl> jack@boring.UUCP (Jack Jansen) writes:
> >The point is, why should we use those icky uucp protocols that are
> >hardly documented, and unused except in some proprietary sofware
>
>Because it is faster.  Compare the transfer speeds of uucp and kermit: you only
> get about half your baud rate in kermit file transfers.  uucp does better.

uucp may transfer data faster, but kermit has managed to jump the most
formidable barrier I know of to date with ease:  going from a Unix box
to an IBM 4361 via a 7171 protocal converter.  That is what I consider
a very good trick.  Furthermore Kermit runs on every major machine I've
used, including some of the really odd combinations down at EIES.  To
my knowledge, uucp is limited to Unix and ms-dos.

--
Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp !ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken

Kirk: "I don't care if you hit the broadside of a barn"
Spock: "Why should I aim at such an object?"

wmf@chinet.UUCP (04/02/87)

In article <122@njitsc1.UUCP>, bc@njitsc1.UUCP (Bill Cheswick) writes:
>> In article <7319@boring.mcvax.cwi.nl> jack@boring.UUCP (Jack Jansen) writes:
>> >The point is, why should we use those icky uucp protocols....
>
>uucp may transfer data faster, but kermit has...
>formidable barrier I know of to date with ease: [Unix to IBM4361]
>a very good trick.  Furthermore Kermit runs on [just about anything]

...and can be the basis of a "poor man's network" of a UNIX box and a bunch
of PC's as terminals. The best of both worlds for low bucks, with equal
(generally excellent) support for all versions.

Because of the copyright held by Columbia University, the program is allowed
to mature in a somewhat orderly fashion and behave consistantly. But your
entire site can have this software for $10. (If you want the manuals.)

| Fortiter in re, suaviter in modo                        Bill Fischer        |
|                                                     ...ihnp4!chinet!wmf     |