[comp.os.minix] MINIX and doswrite

eric@wang7.UUCP (04/04/87)

Subject: MINIX doswrite
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix

	Hello. When I try to use the MINIX doswrite utility, MINIX spazzes
out. By pressing F1 I can see that the doswrite task is blocked waiting for
a message from the file system and the file system is blocked waiting for
a message from "any". Anyone have a flash of insight?? Thanks in advance.

				Eric Van Tassell
				Data Language Corporation
				clyde!bonnie!masscomp!dlcdev!eric
				harvard!mit-eddie!dlcdev!eric
				dlcdev!eric@eddie.mit.edu

crum@utah-cs.UUCP (04/06/87)

I am posting this at the risk of duplicating the response of someone else:

In article <108@wang7.UUCP> eric@wang7.UUCP (eric) writes:
>	Hello. When I try to use the MINIX doswrite utility, MINIX spazzes
>out. By pressing F1 I can see that the doswrite task is blocked waiting for
>a message from the file system and the file system is blocked waiting for
>a message from "any". Anyone have a flash of insight?? Thanks in advance.

Note that doswrite writes its STANDARD INPUT to an MS-DOS diskette.  Also note
that some of the examples for dosdir, dosread, and doswrite in the Tanenbaum
book are incorrect in that they have the drive number and option arguments
transposed.  For example, on page 391, I think that the line:
	doswrite 0 -a f		# Copy standard input to MS-DOS file f
should read:
	doswrite -a 0 f		# Copy standard input to MS-DOS file f
The man page "Syntax:" lines for these commands are correct, however.

I have used doswrite successfully.

Gary Crum
University of Utah