[comp.os.minix] Adding a 3rd floppy

walker@xanth.UUCP (Mike Walker) (04/21/87)

I am using an IBM PC with 3 floppies, and as far as I can tell, in order to
actually use the third floppy under Minix, I will need to recompile the kernel.
Has anyone else done this, and if so, is the only change I need in the code
at line 2502 (floppy.c) where they #define the number of drives as 2? Any help
on this would be welcome.

--

-----------------
Michael D. Walker          UUCP: walker@xanth.UUCP

ast@botter.UUCP (04/22/87)

In article <858@xanth.UUCP> walker@xanth.UUCP (Mike Walker) writes:
>I am using an IBM PC with 3 floppies, and as far as I can tell, in order to
>actually use the third floppy under Minix, I will need to recompile the kernel.
>Has anyone else done this, and if so, is the only change I need in the code
>at line 2502 (floppy.c) where they #define the number of drives as 2? Any help
>on this would be welcome.

I believe that this is the only change you need to make in the kernel, but I
have never tried it either.  You also have to create a special file /dev/fd2.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)