[comp.os.minix] Copying Minix Floppies

mth@ihnp3.UUCP (03/30/87)

I'm hoping to receive my MINIX distribution for the pc in the next
couple weeks.  Before doing anything with the software, I plan to
make copies of everything, the question is *how*.  Will DISKCOPY
work? Are other methods preferable? I would appreciate advice from
anyone that has actually *done* this successfully.  Thanks in advance.

M. Horbal
@ Bell Labs
...ihnp4!ihnp3!mth

ron@brl-sem.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <374@ihnp3.ATT.COM>, mth@ihnp3.ATT.COM (Mark Horbal) writes:

> I'm hoping to receive my MINIX distribution for the pc in the next
> couple weeks.  Before doing anything with the software, I plan to
> make copies of everything, the question is *how*.  Will DISKCOPY

I copied mine using DD under XENIX.  Since I only had 1 1.2 MB floppy
disk, I copied them to the hard disk first.  I really wish that one
of the things on the boot disk was a copy program.

-Ron

nclee@sbcs.UUCP (03/31/87)

> I'm hoping to receive my MINIX distribution for the pc in the next
> couple weeks.  Before doing anything with the software, I plan to
> make copies of everything, the question is *how*.  Will DISKCOPY
> M. Horbal
> @ Bell Labs

DiskCopy will not work. Use either Copy II PC (v3.05) or Copy Write (May 86).
To minimize the problem of head alignment, you should make drive A (fd0) the
destination drive.

CSNET: nclee@sbcs.csnet
ARPA: nclee%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
UUCP: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax} !sbcs!nclee

"It is difficult to make something foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
[Anon]

rde@ukc.UUCP (04/01/87)

If I remember right....

  use    cp /dev/fd0 /dev/fd1

--
           Bob Eager

           rde@ukc.UUCP
           rde@ukc
           ...!mcvax!ukc!rde

           Phone: +44 227 66822 ext 7589

keeshu@nikhefk.UUCP (04/01/87)

In article <703@brl-sem.ARPA> ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
>In article <374@ihnp3.ATT.COM>, mth@ihnp3.ATT.COM (Mark Horbal) writes:
>>
>> I'm hoping to receive my MINIX distribution for the pc in the next
>> couple weeks.  Before doing anything with the software, I plan to
>> make copies of everything, the question is *how*.  Will DISKCOPY
>
>I copied mine using DD under XENIX.  Since I only had 1 1.2 MB floppy
>disk, I copied them to the hard disk first.  I really wish that one
>of the things on the boot disk was a copy program.
>
>-Ron
I copied mine with Copy ][PC, but I imagine any normal bitcopier
would do the trick.

-- Kees

|  UUCP	  : keeshu@nikhefk.uucp  or : {[wherever]!seismo}!mcvax!nikhefk!keeshu
|  FIDO   : kees huyser at 28/9 or 500/11
|  BITNET : u00212@hasara5.bitnet
|  SNAIL  : kees huyser, NIKHEF-K, PO Box 4395, 1009 AJ Amsterdam, Netherlands

ritchie@hplsdla.UUCP (04/01/87)

  Yes, diskcopy WILL work.... but you should verify your copies afterward.
Also, if you are using a 1.2Mbyte drive, you need the magic switch /4 to
format the disk as 360K (I think that this is correct... Check MS-DOS
manual).

					Dave Ritchie
					hp-lsd!ritchie

pingel@wang7.UUCP (04/01/87)

Disk copy will work just fine.  I do recommend that you verify the floppy
with a good formatter first.  Diskcopy will blindly copy onto bad sectors.
I just booted minix from my copied diskettes at noon time.--
Lee Pingel, M/S 014-790			  harvard!vaxine!ima--+
Wang Laboratories Inc.			decvax!wanginst!wang--+---wang7!pingel
1 Industrial Ave.			  appollo!vaxine!ima--+
Lowell, MA 01851                            harvard!masscomp--+

mtm097@tijc02.UUCP (Mark Miller ) (04/21/87)

in article <372@sbcs.UUCP>, nclee@sbcs.UUCP (Nai Chi Lee) says:

zemon@felix.UUCP (04/23/87)

>> DiskCopy will not work. Use either Copy II PC (v3.05) or Copy Write (May 86).

DISKCOPY works just fine for copying Minix floppies.  I
copied my disks that way, put the originals away, and am
working very happily from the copies.

	-- Art Z.
--
	-- Art Zemon