[net.news] Ack! Another outbreak of duplicates!

Once again, duplicate articles are popping up everywhere.  Notice the
following header:

From: mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz)
Newsgroups: net.politics
Subject: Re: Nicaragua, USA, and TechNICA
Date: 25 Jul 86 08:41:59 GMT
Sender: news@rsch.wisc.edu

I have to assume the point of insertion into the real world has to be at
uwvax.

Can people stop doing this sort of thing?  This header was rather
deliberately tricked up to duplicate an existing article, doing everything
needed to ensure that it got out onto the net.  Then we got 8 other copies,
each with different article-IDs.

Also, can someone explain why this has become so common in the last 6 months?

C. Wingate

dave@rsch.wisc.edu (Dave Cohrs) (07/26/86)

I already posted a message about this to net.news.adm, but, for those
that don't read that group...

Uwvax had an OS conversion Thursday night.  After the conversion was complete,
I waited around for a while watching to see if everything worked.  Well,
everything did... sort of.  Unfortunately, uwvax decided to send out all
the articles it received a bunch of times with new Message-IDs.  I didn't
notice this immediately, so it stayed unfixed until 8:35 Friday morning, at
which time the problem went away all by itself (really!).  I assume it was
some protection problem, but I haven't figured out what it was.  Anyway, I'm
sorry for the added traffic.  I have sent out a bunch of "cancel"s for the
dups uwvax sent to the mod groups.

In any case, it's all better now.

Once again, sorry for the garbage.

dave

p.s.  This was with 2.10.3 news, so you can't just blame "notes" for such
   silliness.

Dave Cohrs
(608) 262-1204
..!{harvard,ihnp4,seismo,topaz}!uwvax!dave
dave@rsch.wisc.edu

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (07/28/86)

[]
"...can someone explain why this has become so common in the last six months..."

Yes. There are several possible explanations. Choose one. They are all free:

1. Cf. Law of the Conservation of Difficulties.
2. Law of Self Preservation - or - the Survival of the Fittest. Net software,
seeing that it is about to be reorganized out of existence in a misguided
attempt to reduce traffic volumes, is attempting to populate the universe
with parts of itself or its progeny before the axe falls.  Software often
does this sort of thing in an attempt to preserve itself.  Most often it does
so in an effort to get an incompetent System Administrator replaced.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg