[comp.os.minix] MINIX SW shipping dates

bakken@tahoma.ARPA (Dave Bakken) (04/20/87)

I called Prentice Hall last week to ask when the MINIX software for
640K IBMs would ship.  They said they grossly underestimated the
demand and it would be June 1 till more were shipped - they ran
out about 2 weeks ago.  Bummer!!

Dave Bakken
Boeing Commercial Airplane Company
Flight Simulation Lab
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!bakken
(206) 237-5890

My views are my own, not my employer's.  Don't let them deter you from
buying the 747 you've been saving hard for.

bakken@tahoma.ARPA (Dave Bakken) (04/20/87)

Distribution:Seattle

Does any kind soul in the Seattle area have a copy of the MINIX software for the
640K IBM PC that we may copy?  We put in an order a month ago but it
looks like it may be many moons until we receive it, and some of
us can't wait that long.  Thanks in advance (perhaps optimistically)!!!

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (04/24/87)

In article <151@tahoma.ARPA> bakken@tahoma.ARPA (Dave Bakken) writes:
>I called Prentice Hall last week to ask when the MINIX software for
>640K IBMs would ship.  They said they grossly underestimated the
>demand and it would be June 1 till more were shipped - they ran
>out about 2 weeks ago.  Bummer!!

I talked to them yesterday and complained about the long delivery time.
The person in charge of the software is going to circumvent the corporate
bureaucracy and get them made a different way, so they should be in stock
in two weeks.    Guessing the demand for this sort of item is hard to do :-)

For people in Europe, I talked to the V.P. of P-H in England and asked what
happened to the software.  He told me that a large chunk of the next batch
(i.e., in two weeks) will be for Europe.

The AT version is still in stock.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)