[net.news] Quoting Published Media on Computers

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (07/15/86)

Roy Smith writes in "net.news":

>	Since the recent brou-ha about the "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex"
>story posted to net.comics (I think that's where it was), I've been more
>atune to the posting of copyrighted material.  I was somewhat surprised to
>see the above-quoted article this morning in, of all places, a moderated
>news group [referencing the article quoted from "A+" Magazine in mod.comp-soc]

 Let's call some magazines that I excerpt from and ASK them...

 "A+" Magazine first.  Maggie Canon is the editor...
	They feel that having stuff published makes it THEIRS, and that
	while they conceed that there may indeed be a fuzzy grey line
	about what size an excerpt can be before being bad, they are
	most certainly NOT thrilled about having excerpts wantonly tossed
	onto computer networks!!   I apologized to them and they said
	that so long as a notice of this nature was sent out it'd be okay.

 Now let's talk to "US News and World Report" Reader Service Department
 in Washington D.C....

	Pretty hard core - they require a written request in advance on
	a per-article basis.  End of quoting from THAT magazine.

 Finally, just for chuckles, let's try the "San Jose Mercury" too...

	Ahh the runaround...uh oh...it seems that they're pretty hardcore
	too.  They say "the information we publish is our business" which
	is pretty reasonable.  End of quoting from them too.

Sooo...it seems that posting articles based on other sources is indeed a
violation of copyright - information is the commodity these journals offer.

	In the interest of the continued existence and well being of the net,
I will stop quoting from magazines entirely.  Sorry if people feel cut off,
but I can still send 'pointers' to interesting articles at least...

					Suitable chastened,
						-- Dave Taylor

In article <463@hplabsc.UUCP>, taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor) writes:
< Roy Smith writes in "net.news":
<< Since the recent brou-ha about "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" [...]
< Let's call some magazines that I excerpt from and ASK them...
< "A+" Magazine first.  Maggie Canon is the editor...
<	[...] they said that so long as a notice of this nature was
<	sent out it'd be okay.
< Now [...] "US News and World Report"
<	Pretty hard core [...] End of quoting from THAT magazine.
< Finally, just for chuckles, let's try the "San Jose Mercury" too...
<	Ahh the runaround...uh oh...[...] they're pretty hardcore too.
<	End of quoting from them too.
< In the interest of the continued existence and well being of the net,
< I will stop quoting from magazines entirely.  Sorry if people feel
< cut off,  but I can still send 'pointers' to interesting articles at
< least...
[so much for "included lines vs new lines".  Yet another trivial way to
 defeat it.]

     Too bad.  Well, I know two magazines I will never have anything to
do with.  Something like MofS, WofK is one thing, quoting a copywritten
work in its entirety.  Excerpting a couple of paragraphs is, or rather
ought to be, perfectly legitimate.

     I am not attacking Dave's stand, in fact I think he is doing the
reasonable (safe) thing.  I am just saddened to see this sort of
little-child pettiness from the magazines.
--
					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse@uw-beaver.arpa

"Come with me a few minutes, mortal, and we shall talk."
				- Piers Anthony, Bearing an Hourglass