[comp.os.minix] MINIX -- why?

cmaag@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Christopher N Maag) (04/28/87)

I hope that no one takes this article as a flame to MINX.  I have just become
aware of this product recently, and I have a few questions about it.

     What is the big deal about MINX?  It seems to me that a product such
as this one is not real exciting.  There are many "UNIX-like" operating systems
available that are reasonably priced.  For instance, I use a product called
PCNX by a company called Wendin.  It retails for $99, and although it doesn't
include a C compilier (as I gather MINX does), it does have a lot of benefits
that MINIX doesn't have.  One of these is the ability to run most of the MS-
DOS software that you may have.  It will run almost all of the "well-behaved"
programs, such as the compiliers you are already using.  It runs on top of DOS,
which means that if you have a hard-disk that runs under DOS, it will talk to
PCNX.  (No more patching the kernal to get your hard-disk to work).  Of course,
the disadvantage of this is that you don't get quite the same directory
security that you get with UNIX.  You get the source code to the programs, and
they also include a decent manual on all of the system services.  The system
supports three simultaneous users, and ten processes per user.  There are 71
separate UNIX utilites included as well.  (this is only a small description
of some of the features available)

     This product is available bug-free today.  (Actually, it's been around
for about a year now)  The company that wrote it provides excellent support.
I guess I don't really understand what all the fuss is about with MINIX.

     The second question is where can I read a detailed description of MINIX,
without reading "The Book".  Does anyone have a copy of a press release or
something?

     Finally, is there a different version of MINIX for each different
microprocessor? (E.g. a 808n version vs. a 80286 version vs. a 80386 version.)

By the way, I don't work for Wendin.  I'm just a satisfied user.

scott@rainbo.dec.com.UUCP (04/30/87)

<RE:  csd4.milw.wisc.edu!cmaag, U of WI-Milwaukee, Computing Services Division>
>                                       For instance, I use a product called
>PCNX by a company called Wendin.  It retails for $99, and although it doesn't
>... One of these is the ability to run most of the MS-DOS software that you
>may have.  It will run almost all of the "well-behaved" programs, such as the
>compiliers you are already using.  ...
        Hah!  I  ordered  the  full set of WENDIN products soon after
        they came out on the market.  Although part of my problem may
        have been getting an early  version,  I  must say that was so
        displeased with packages  that  I  returned them immediately.
        With few exceptions, the  only  programs  "well  behaved" and
        small enough to run under  PCNX  or  PCVMS  were  PD tools or
        tools I wrote myself.  Even  the  MS  compiler failed in some
        cases.  In short, WENDIN PCNX isn't (or possibly wasn't) even
        in the same ballpark as MINIX, XINU, etc.

>     This product [WENDIN's PCNX] is available bug-free today.
        Bug-free?  Is that a challenge? :{)

>The company that wrote it provides excellent support.
        No-hassle refunds anyway.

>I guess I don't really understand what all the fuss is about with MINIX.
>The second question is where can I read a detailed description of MINIX,
>without reading "The Book".
        In the first sentence you  plead  ignorance and in the second
        reject the opportunity to learn!?   "The  Book" IS a detailed
        description  of  MINIX  plus  you  may learn something  about
        operating systems you didn't know or forgot.  Education isn't
        a "gimme"!  Buy the book and read it; it won't hurt you.

        I'm  sorry  if  I  have offended the "net" with my  response.
        The  combination    of   my  experience  with  PCNX  and  the
        availability of info on MINIX pushed me beyond my "limit".

        Robert P. Scott
        USENET:  decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-mosaic!scott
        PHONE:  (603) 886-1383
        SMAIL:  29 Heritage Circle, Hudson, NH  03051-3427

Posted:	Thu 30-Apr-1987 10:45 EST
To:	RHEA::DECWRL::"comp.os.minix"

martyl@rocksvax.UUCP (Marty Leisner) (04/30/87)

In article <2055@uwmcsd1.UUCP> cmaag@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.UUCP (Christopher N Maag) writes:
>     What is the big deal about MINX?  It seems to me that a product such
>as this one is not real exciting.  There are many "UNIX-like" operating systems
>available that are reasonably priced.  For instance, I use a product called
>PCNX by a company called Wendin.  It retails for $99, and although it doesn't
>include a C compilier (as I gather MINX does), it does have a lot of benefits
>that MINIX doesn't have.  One of these is the ability to run most of the MS-
>DOS software that you may have.  It will run almost all of the "well-behaved"
>programs, such as the compiliers you are already using.  It runs on top of DOS,
>which means that if you have a hard-disk that runs under DOS, it will talk to
>PCNX.  (No more patching the kernal to get your hard-disk to work).  Of course,
>the disadvantage of this is that you don't get quite the same directory
>security that you get with UNIX.  You get the source code to the programs, and
>they also include a decent manual on all of the system services.  The system
>supports three simultaneous users, and ten processes per user.  There are 71
>separate UNIX utilites included as well.  (this is only a small description
>of some of the features available)

I bought both Wendin's PCNX and OS toolbox for use at work.

While I feel it was a worthwhile investment (ye Gads -- about 1.5 mbytes of source code for $200) -- it wasn't useful.

I wasn't able to run anything else I wanted to run under PCNX -- PCNX works well
by itself and with the supplied tools but most of the other stuff I wanted to run made it crash.  I have a PC AT full of boards (ethernet, scsi, CP/M emulator,
etc.).  It turns out it wasn't useful.

In addition, my understanding of PCNX system services is they are more like VMS than Unix (I gather this second hand, I don't know anything about VMS).  Unix source code will * not * compile easily for PCNX.  PCNX source code for various
utilities will not easily compile for MSDOS or UNIX.  In light of how easy it isto port a lot of software between MSDOS and UNIX, I'd say PCNX has some fundamental
conceptual flaws.

I also didn't like the layout of the source code -- it seems everthing includes all the system header files whether you need them or not.

PCNX is a technical product.  Comparing PCNX to Minix, I'd much rather hack Minix than PCNX -- I find the textbook and the source code far more understandable and
aestically pleasing.

marty leisner
xerox corp.
leisner.henr@xerox.com

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (05/01/87)

cmaag@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Christopher N Maag) writes:
>     What is the big deal about MINX?  It seems to me that a product such
>as this one is not real exciting.  There are many "UNIX-like" operating systems
>available that are reasonably priced.  For instance, I use a product called
>PCNX by a company called Wendin.  It retails for $99, and although it doesn't
	[description of PCNX deleted]
>     This product is available bug-free today.  (Actually, it's been around
>for about a year now)  The company that wrote it provides excellent support.
>I guess I don't really understand what all the fuss is about with MINIX.

Christopher, you're the first person I've heard say anything really nice
about Wendin's PCNX.  Some of the comments I've heard are: it's buggy;
it doesn't run most DOS software; it's really VMS underneath, and so not
very unix-like; it crashes.  I would really like for Wendin to succeed,
so I'm happy to hear that you are a satisfied user.

Perhaps the reason you can't get excited about MINIX is that you
*are* a user.  That's not a put-down, just an observation.  MINIX is a
hacker's operating system.  It will probably be slow.  The hard disk
driver is apparently buggy.  It won't run *any* DOS software.  But, from
a programmer's point of view, it is *very* close to V7 unix.  There are
people out there working on uucp, TCP/IP, and packet radio for minix!  I
haven't seen that kind of excitement generated by any of the other
unix-like DOS enhancements.

I don't plan to use minix to do any useful things anytime soon.  Its going
to take months to convert the floppy, winchester, and console drivers to
run on my non-IBM machine.  I plan to hack on MINIX for fun!

Paul

Paul L. Allen                           | "Look out, men! He's armed!"
Boeing Advanced Technology Center       |        "I've got a cheese grater,
                                        |        and I'm not afraid to use it!"
                                        | "Don't make it any harder
paula@boeing.com                        | on yourself, kid! Drop it!"
...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!paula      |        "Eat mozzarella, copper!"

myxm@beta.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) (05/01/87)

I also am a dissatisfied user of Wendin's PCNX. My copy could also be
considered for sale!

myxm@lanl.gov

mh@killer.UUCP (Mike Hobgood) (05/02/87)

I've looked at PCNX and for the most part the code is terrible and
inefficient.  There are far too many include files making the whole
thing unreadable.  The other thing is that it rides on top of MSDOS
rather than throwing it out.  I never got any of my daily-use
programs to work with PCNX, so the idea of running a file in the
background while running WordPerfect etc, is bogus.  There is no
such thing as well behaved (or so I've found).

paradis@encore.UUCP (Jim Paradis) (05/04/87)

In article <2055@uwmcsd1.UUCP> cmaag@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.UUCP (Christopher N Maag) writes:
>I hope that no one takes this article as a flame to MINX.  I have just become
>aware of this product recently, and I have a few questions about it.

THIS article may or may not be construed as a flame to PCNX.  It's sure full
of complaints.  Read on.

>     What is the big deal about MINX?  It seems to me that a product such
>as this one is not real exciting.  There are many "UNIX-like" operating systems
>available that are reasonably priced.  For instance, I use a product called
>PCNX by a company called Wendin.

I DID use Wendin's PCNX (Got it back when they called it PCUNIX... AT&T must've
sent a nastygram to Wendin shortly thereafter).  I tried it out about 3 times
before giving up in disgust.

>It retails for $99, and although it doesn't include a C compilier (as I gather
>MINX does), it does have a lot of benefits that MINIX doesn't have.

For $99 you get the kernel binaries and the utility sources.  It'll cost you
ANOTHER $99 for the kernel sources.  Their advertising is not clear on this.
And, as you can see, for about $125 you get MINIX with FULL SOURCES (except the
C compiler) a C compiler, an editor, and a useful set of utilities.  In addition,
the design documentation of MINIX is infinitely more complete than the slender
binders offered with PCNX!

>One of these is the ability to run most of the MS-DOS software that you may have.
>It will run almost all of the "well-behaved" programs, such as the compiliers you
>are already using.

An awful lot of DOS software is quite "ill-behaved", so this feature is useless.
There were quite a few programs (even well-behaved ones) that I couldn't get to
work under PCNX.  Among those was my Microsoft C compiler!

>It runs on top of DOS, which means that if you have a hard-disk that runs under
>DOS, it will talk to PCNX.  (No more patching the kernal to get your hard-disk
>to work).

I will give credit where it's due... the fact that it can come out of the box
and run on top of DOS is definitely an advantage... (Of course, it doesn't run
COMPLETELY on top of dos... it still requires a hardware-compatible PC to run on).

>Of course, the disadvantage of this is that you don't get quite the same
>directory security that you get with UNIX.

Put it another way... since it runs on top of DOS, you get ALL the disadvantages
of the DOS filesystem (no links, restricted filename syntax, poor handling of
concurrent access...)

>You get the source code to the programs

But not the kernel

>they also include a decent manual on all of the system services.

"System service" is VMS terminology -- and this is the main reason why PCNX
is a poor UNIX lookalike.  The entire system architecture and system call
structure is patterned after VMS, with a UNIX-like interface grafted on top.
Translating the VMS protocols to UNIX (e.g. translating pipes to mailboxes)
wastes valuable CPU cycles -- something a PC/XT cannot spare!  MINIX was
designed from the ground up to be as UNIX-compatible as possible.

>     This product is available bug-free today.  (Actually, it's been around
                                ^^^^^^^^HAH!!!
>for about a year now)  The company that wrote it provides excellent support.
>I guess I don't really understand what all the fuss is about with MINIX.

No software product is bug-free, and the documentation provided with PCNX
and the Operating System Toolbox is terribly insufficient for helping find
and fix them.  Andy's "Book" is EXCELLENT in this regard!

>     The second question is where can I read a detailed description of MINIX,
>without reading "The Book".  Does anyone have a copy of a press release or
>something?

As far as I know, the only "press release" for MINIX was the one distributed
electronically on Usenet in December of 1986.  If you REALLY want to know about
MINIX, find a copy of "The Book" and read it.  The second-best way is to
read as much of comp.os.minix as you have access to.  If you want, I'll email
you a copy of the "press release" and the early messages about MINIX...

>     Finally, is there a different version of MINIX for each different
>microprocessor? (E.g. a 808n version vs. a 80286 version vs. a 80386 version.)

At present, no.  However, some enterprising soul is certain to come up with
a version that supports the advanced features of the advanced chips.  That's the
beauty of the way MINIX is distributed... it INVITES creativity and
experimentation.  In fact, it starts to feel just like the early days of UNIX,
when licensing fees were cheap and hackery was encouraged.

>By the way, I don't work for Wendin.  I'm just a satisfied user.

And I'm a highly dissatisfied (former) user of PCNX.  If anyone out there in
net-land really wants to try PCNX, I'll be glad to sell you my copy real
cheap!

bruceb@telesoft.UUCP (Bruce Bergman @spot) (05/04/87)

> I hope that no one takes this article as a flame to MINX.  I have just become
> aware of this product recently, and I have a few questions about it.

Well, in taking your comments as simply an opinion, I'll try not to flame,
however I thought you should know that PCNX isn't all it's worked up to be.

First, I've used both PCUNIX and PCVMS (and the toolbox).  While it's an
impressive collection of stuff, it no comes no where near the quality of
MINIX.  Many others have recently posted reasons why this is.

MINIX is a true (albeit slow) multi-tasking system, whereas PCVMS and PCUNIX
aren't.  Wendin makes note of this in their user's manual.  Also, the guys
who wrote both those products are VMS-grown.  They tried to create UNIX from
VMS system services.

I personally prefer VMS to UNIX, however that hasn't stopped me from hacking
on both.  I can appreciate the effort that went into the toolbox.  Really,
that is quite a code job.  Unfortunately, Wendin doesn't seem to understand
that you can't write a decent UNIX using VMS system services.  If it was
easy, someone would have already attempted it.  The Wendin guys are smart
birds; they just need to do it RIGHT and CAREFULLY to make a nifty thing.

Even using the toolbox to write PCVMS was not a smart idea.  Maybe their
yet-to-come-multi-tasking-replacement-for-dos-but-runs-dos-stuff will be
better off in this regard.

You need to consider that Wendin had not intended to produce either of those
two products.  They started with the toolbox and included PCUNIX and PCVMS
as EXAMPLES of how to use the toolbox.  Then they got the idea that those
two could sell on their own.  Only problem was that they were done shabbily.

I'm sure, by now, that you've heard the rants and raves of why PCUNIX doesn't
work properly.  I can vouch for the same (and for PCVMS too).  I wrote and
posted a rather lengthy review of the PCVMS system about 6 months back.  If
you'd like a copy, please email me.  If I get lots of response, maybe I'll
post it again.

However, in conclusion, if you're happy with it - great.  It really isn't
in the same ballpark, though.  Read the MINIX book, is my suggestion.

kibbles and bits,

bruce bergman
--
                 bang!-
allegra!\              \               (619) 457-2700 x123
           >--sdcsvax!---->--telesoft!bruceb  (Bruce Bergman N7HAW)
noscvax!  /              /
scgvaxd! /   sdencore!--/              TeleSoft, Inc.
ucbvax! /              /               5959 Cornerstone Court
              talaris!-                San Diego, CA.  92121-9891

All opinions are mine.  [ packet: n7haw @ n6atq-1, fido: 103!203 ]

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (05/10/87)

As quoted from <404@telesoft.UUCP> by bruceb@telesoft.UUCP (Bruce Bergman @spot):
+---------------
| that is quite a code job.  Unfortunately, Wendin doesn't seem to understand
| that you can't write a decent UNIX using VMS system services.  If it was
| easy, someone would have already attempted it.  The Wendin guys are smart
+---------------

Ever hear of Eunice?

++Brando
--
Copyright (C) 1987 Brandon S. Allbery -- you can redistribute only if your
	recipients can.

Brandon S. Allbery	{decvax,cbatt,cbosgd}!cwruecmp!ncoast!allbery
Tridelta Industries	{ames,mit-eddie,talcott}!necntc!ncoast!allbery
7350 Corporate Blvd.	necntc!ncoast!allbery@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
Mentor, OH 44060	+01 216 255 1080	(also eddie.MIT.EDU)

merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (05/12/87)

In article <2493@ncoast.UUCP>, allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
> Ever hear of Eunice?

     Yes, I've heard of Eunice.  Bruce's comments hold.
--
David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon	PhoneNet:  (202) 694-6900
UUCP:  *!seismo!sundc!hqda-ai!merlin	ARPA:  merlin%hqda-ai.uucp@brl.arpa

dhb@rayssd.RAY.COM (David Brierley) (05/13/87)

In article <2493@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
>As quoted from <404@telesoft.UUCP> by bruceb@telesoft.UUCP (Bruce Bergman @spot):
>+---------------
>| that is quite a code job.  Unfortunately, Wendin doesn't seem to understand
>| that you can't write a decent UNIX using VMS system services.  If it was
>| easy, someone would have already attempted it.  The Wendin guys are smart
>+---------------
>
>Ever hear of Eunice?
>
>++Brando

Yes I have heard of (and in fact have used) Eunice.  It is the reason I agree
with the original statement.

--
	David H. Brierley
	Raytheon Submarine Signal Division

Phone:		(401)-847-8000 x4073
Internet:	dhb@rayssd.ray.com
Uucp:		{cbosgd, gatech, linus, mirror, necntc, uiucdcs} !rayssd!dhb

amamaral@elrond.CalComp.COM (Alan Amaral) (05/13/87)

In article <2493@ncoast.UUCP>, allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
> As quoted from <404@telesoft.UUCP> by bruceb@telesoft.UUCP (Bruce Bergman @spot):
> +---------------
> | that is quite a code job.  Unfortunately, Wendin doesn't seem to understand
> | that you can't write a decent UNIX using VMS system services.  If it was
> | easy, someone would have already attempted it.  The Wendin guys are smart
> +---------------
>
> Ever hear of Eunice?
>
> ++Brando

Like he said, a DECENT UNIX using VMS system services...

** Line to fool postnews into posting this reply **
** Line to fool postnews into posting this reply **
** Line to fool postnews into posting this reply **
** Line to fool postnews into posting this reply **
** Line to fool postnews into posting this reply **
** Line to fool postnews into posting this reply **
** Line to fool postnews into posting this reply **
** Line to fool postnews into posting this reply **
** Line to fool postnews into posting this reply **
** Line to fool postnews into posting this reply **
** Line to fool postnews into posting this reply **
--
uucp:	 ...decvax!elrond!amamaral		I would rather be a
phone:	 (603) 885-8075				fool than a king...