[comp.os.minix] Question on minix for Compaq portable

cavender@drivax.UUCP (Steve Cavender) (05/14/87)

In article <138@medivax.UUCP> chinson@medivax.UUCP (Chinson Yi) writes:
>I am thinking of running Minix on my Compaq Portable with
>256K and two 360k floppy disk.   I have seen some News letter
>that it will run on Compaq Portable, but I have some question
>regarding an upgrade.  I would appreciate any response for the
>following questions.
>
>1.  Does Minix work with any hard disk available for Compaq ?
>     e.g) thinking of buying a plug in hard disk card
>2.  Can I add expansion memory board (AST etc ) and still
>    take advantage of its extended memory later?

I have Minix working on my Compaq, which was originally like the machine you
describe above.  I have extended my machine with a 20M hard disk and a 384K RAM
MultiFunction Card, both from CompuAdd in Austin, TX.  The hard disk access did
not work with the Minix 1.1 distribution, but it did work properly after
applying the patches to wini.c posted by Gary Oliver.  Those patches have since
been updated in article <5177@beta.UUCP> by myxm@beta.UUCP.  Also, the posted
routines that read an AST compatible clock chip and set the Minix date and time
work with the CompuAdd MFC.

>3.  Can I pulg in one of those TineyTurbo 286 card and take
>    advantage of its speed ?

Sorry, I can't help you with this one.  The only processor extension I've made
to my machine is to convert to a V20, and everything is working fine.

>Thank you
>Chinson Yi

You bet.

--
Steve Cavender     Digital Research |(My opinions.  You can't have them.)
USENET:    cavender@drivax.UUCP     |Eric: "What IS the real goal?"