[comp.os.minix] Missing items in libc.a

bishop@ecsvax.UUCP (Alan Bishop) (05/11/87)

On the distribution disk, the following files appear in src/lib/libsrc.a
but do not have corresponding .s files in /usr/lib/libc.a:

crypt.c
getgrent.c
getpwent.c
regexp.c
regsub.c

alan
--
				Alan Bishop
			     ...!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!bishop

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (05/12/87)

Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: Re: Missing items in libc.a

In article <3125@ecsvax.UUCP> bishop@ecsvax.UUCP (Alan Bishop) writes:
>On the distribution disk, the following files appear in src/lib/libsrc.a
>but do not have corresponding .s files in /usr/lib/libc.a:
>
>crypt.c
>getgrent.c
>getpwent.c
>regexp.c
>regsub.c

Correct.  There was no room on the disk.  I just assumed that anyone who
wanted them could compile them from scratch.  Don't forget the -L flag
when making a library routine.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL
NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL
NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL
NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL

Note: NULLs included because news system rejected the above message on the
grounds that my contribution was smaller than Alan's.  I suggest that
the next version of news weight the original message and the reply not by
the number of characters but by the intellectual significance of the original

bob@its63b.UUCP (05/15/87)

In article <3125@ecsvax.UUCP> bishop@ecsvax.UUCP (Alan Bishop) writes:
>On the distribution disk, the following files appear in src/lib/libsrc.a
>but do not have corresponding .s files in /usr/lib/libc.a:
>
>crypt.c

Is this crypt a re-implementation of the V7 crypt?

If so, Isn't this going to cause problems with those crazy
export restrictions on encryption software.

Yes, I know the software was written in Europe and is being
IMPORTED to the USA, but you don't think that that is going
to prevent the NSA trying to restrict it's sale to countries
outside the USA do you? :-)

>alan
>--
>				Alan Bishop
>			     ...!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!bishop
>				bishop@ecsvax.{UUCP,BITNET}

	Bob Gray
	ERCC. (or whatever the latest name is these days)