[comp.os.minix] ordering Tanenbaum's book

dean@violet.berkeley.edu (Dean Pentcheff) (05/16/87)

In article <368@hqda-ai.UUCP> merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) writes:
>   |  Tanenbaum, Andrew S.
>   |  	  Operating Systems
>If you want to order it, it's published by
>     Prentice-Hall, Inc.
>     Englewood Cliffs, NJ  07632

Be aware that Prentice-Hall is not the swiftest of all publishers in
responding to orders.  To be specific: I ordered a copy in
mid-January.  About mid-March I went back to the bookstore through
which I ordered it.  The clerk was about to check their paperwork on
the order until I mentioned the publisher's name.  At that point he
stopped, chuckled, and suggested that I might as well just be a bit
more patient.  The book has yet to arrive.

-Dean   (dean@violet.berkeley.edu)

shebs@utah-cs.UUCP (Stanley Shebs) (05/19/87)

In article <3580@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> dean@violet.berkeley.edu (Dean Pentcheff) writes:

>Be aware that Prentice-Hall is not the swiftest of all publishers in
>responding to orders.

It was mentioned earlier that the Library of Computer and Info Science had
The Book as one of their selections several months ago, which is how I got
mine.  It *hasn't* been mentioned that it has moved into the "old selections"
catalog, and is still available - $28 for club members, and $13 (!) as a
bonus book.  Might be worth your while to hunt up a member with some extra
bonus coupons...  (BTW, this book club is worth belonging to.  It covers
absolutely the entire field, which means that sometimes the offerings are
nothing but MVS/CICS/BAL/IBM books, but I've gotten quite a few good books
from them, and service is reasonably fast)

							stan shebs