[comp.os.minix] C-compiler ignores "static"

mikem@otc.OZ (Mike Mowbray) (05/31/87)

in article <1189@botter.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) says:

> For long and complicated reasons, the MINIX C compiler effectively
> ignores static declarations.  Thus if you have a declaration
> static int x= 1;
> that appears in two files, when you link them you will get multiply defined
> symbols.

Are there any other surprises in the C-compiler we should know about? (This
one seems to imply that C++ couldn't be used with this C-compiler.)

			Mike Mowbray
			Systems Development
			Overseas Telecommunications Commission (Australia)

UUCP:   {seismo,mcvax}!otc.oz!mikem              ACSnet: mikem@otc.oz

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (06/03/87)

In article <124@otc.OZ> mikem@otc.OZ (Mike Mowbray) writes:
>Are there any other surprises in the C-compiler we should know about?

No.  That was the only one, and it has been fixed in the version of the
sources that UniPress and Transmediair are now distributing.
Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)