[comp.os.minix] Minix and Hard Drives

iverson@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (06/15/87)

In article <1205@botter.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>A recent survey in a local computer hobby magazine showed that only 5% of
>the readers had a hard disk.  95% worked with floppy only.  In my own dept.
>I know that very few students have hard disks, and even among the faculty
>members here who have a computer at home, I believe that I am the only one

I think that perhaps you have been mislead by the survey.  Of all the
students I know with PC's, most don't have hard disks.  But, *all* the
CS students (with PC's) that I know do own hard disks.  A Political
Science major may not need a hard disk to use WordStar, but then
he isn't going to be using MINIX either.  He certainly won't want to
recompile it for any reason.

So, the survey is correct, but it has lead you the wrong way.  Of the
PC owning population, perhaps 1% will ever own MINIX.  I would guess
that 90% of the 1% would be professional types (programmers, analysts,
etc.) who plan on modifying it in some way and that only a small fraction
would *not* own a hard drive.  Judging from the net traffic on hard
drives in this group and comp.sys.ibm.pc, I would say that I'm not far
off base.

Actually, the fact that MINIX does all of these outre hacks to get
around the lack of a hard drive (RAM disk, no swapping, etc.) probably
limits the effectiveness of MINIX as a teaching tool as well.  How
many real UNIX's use a RAM disk, or don't swap?  Even in the TOY OS
(yes, that's it's name) we used in our OS class, swapping was performed.
I know MINIX is just a toy, that doesn't mean it has to be weird, too.
Perhaps you should reconsider your stance on the utility of a MINIX that
requires a hard drive.

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@cory.Berkeley.EDU
  ucbvax!cory!iverson