[comp.os.minix] logout bug, have you seen it?

dale@oakhill.UUCP (Dale Stevens) (06/11/87)

I finally received my Minix floppies and have a file system
mounted on my XT hard disk, but I have seen a problem with
logging out.  Twice when I was logged in as "ast" I became
the superuser when I logged out instead of getting the login
prompt.  Once in this mode additional attempts to logout are
ignored.  Even killing the sh process won't work.  Has anyone
seen this?  Is this a "real" bug and is there a fix?

      Dale Stevens
      Digital Signal Processors Group,
      Motorola Inc.  Austin, Texas

 {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!dale

rmgtkro@ark.UUCP (06/16/87)

In article <911@oakhill.UUCP> dale@oakhill.UUCP (Dale Stevens) writes:
>              Twice when I was logged in as "ast" I became
>the superuser when I logged out instead of getting the login
>prompt.  Once in this mode additional attempts to logout are
>ignored.  Even killing the sh process won't work.  Has anyone
>seen this?  Is this a "real" bug and is there a fix?

It looks like you unmounted the file system containing the "login"-program.
Init can't find it and will fork off a shell. This shell is (of course) a
root-shell. Every time you try to log out, or to kill the shell, a new
one will be forked off. I don't say that this happens to you, but it
sure looks like it does.

Rob ten Kroode (rmgtkro@cs.vu.nl).

ast@botter.UUCP (06/16/87)

In article <911@oakhill.UUCP> dale@oakhill.UUCP (Dale Stevens) writes:
>I became the superuser when I logged out instead of getting the login prompt.

I suspect what happened is that you have somehow made login unavailable,
so that when you logged out, init couldn't exec login, and it exec'd the
shell instead.  You can see this by hitting F1 and looking at the pid
of the shell.  Then hit CTRL-D.  If "nothing" seems to happen, hit F1 again
and see if the shell pid is different.  If it is, the shell has terminated
and you have gotten a new one.  If you have set shell variables etc, you
will also notice that they are gone.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)