[comp.os.minix] TCP/IP & MINIX

sch@oce.UUCP (06/15/87)

I finally got a copy of Phil Karns TCP/IP package for IBM PC's.
This package can be used as a starting point for a 'communication
server' for MINIX. I intended to port it myself, but :

:In the april issue of Unix Review (p87) Rob Warnock writes
:
:	... a small group has begun porting Phil Karn's
:	TCP/IP package for Amateur Packer Radio from
:	MS-DOS to Minix.
:
Does anyone know more about this effort ??? I hate reinventing wheels.

				Jakob Schripsema (sch@oce.nl)
				Oce Nederland BV.
				PO. box 101
				5900MA Venlo
				The Netherlands

 This note does not necessarily represent the position
 of Oce-Nederland B.V. Therefore no liability or
 responsibility for whatever will be accepted.

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (06/16/87)

In article <258@oce-rd4.oce.nl> sch@oce-rd4.UUCP (Jakob Schripsema) writes:

>I finally got a copy of Phil Karns TCP/IP package for IBM PC's.
>This package can be used as a starting point for a 'communication
>server' for MINIX. I intended to port it myself, but :
>
>:In the april issue of Unix Review (p87) Rob Warnock writes
>:
>:	... a small group has begun porting Phil Karn's
>:	TCP/IP package for Amateur Packer Radio from
>:	MS-DOS to Minix.
>:
>Does anyone know more about this effort ??? I hate reinventing wheels.
I believe Bdale Garbee mentioned he was considering a port.

It may not hurt to try to port several implementations, including the PC/IP
versions (created at MIT, now available from CMU), which is already built on
the base of a tasking package that runs on the IBM PC and has been ported to
to the Mac.  The KA9Q package probably has lots of AX.25 code that you'd want
to rip out anyway.

					- Ralph Hyre

rpw3@amdcad.UUCP (06/17/87)

+---------------
| I finally got a copy of Phil Karns TCP/IP package for IBM PC's.
| This package can be used as a starting point for a 'communication
| server' for MINIX. I intended to port it myself, but
| :In the april issue of Unix Review (p87) Rob Warnock writes
| :	... a small group has begun porting Phil Karn's
| :	TCP/IP package for Amateur Packer Radio from
| :	MS-DOS to Minix.
| Does anyone know more about this effort ??? I hate reinventing wheels.
|	Jakob Schripsema (sch@oce.nl)
+---------------

Well, the "small group" includes Bdale Garbee, probably Phil Karn himself,
and maybe one or two others. I don't think there is anything formal going
on, and your work certainly wouldn't be wasted. I was intending to put a
lot of work on it myself, but due to some recent events haven't had any
spare time for the past few months (I haven't even gotten a copy of Phil's
code yet, or gotten Minix up on my Toshiba T1100+). ((Sorry, guys!))

Maybe Bdale Garbee (who's been most active in getting Minix up on the T1100+)
could say a few words about where "Karn/TCP" and Minix stand... Bdale?

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	  {amdcad,fortune,sun,attmail}!redwood!rpw3
ATTmail:  !rpw3
DDD:	  (415)572-2607
USPS:	  627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403