[comp.os.minix] Query about this newsgroup on BITNET

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (07/01/87)

I regularly get queries about whether this news group is being gatewayed
to BITNET as a mailing list or whatever.  Will someone who is knowledgeable
in such matters please post a message saying whether:
 1.  There is an operational gateway
 2.  Gateways between USENET and BITNET are theoretically impossible
 3.  Gateways are possible, but one does not exist

If case 3 holds, is there anyone who is willing and able to set it up?

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

galvin@udel.EDU (James M Galvin) (07/01/87)

In article <1512@botter.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

>I regularly get queries about whether this news group is being gatewayed
>to BITNET as a mailing list or whatever.

Well, I have made an official announcement on the Internet side, in the
sense that there is now an entry in "list-of-lists".  I am currently
gatewaying this group to/from USENET, to/from Internet and to/from BITNET.

There is a BITNET group called MINIX-L, but for reasons undetermined at
the moment, the BITNET list maintainers and I can not figure out why they
are not receiving my messages.

The addresses on both the Internet and BITNET side are:
	info-minix@udel.edu		for contributions
	info-minix-request@udel.edu	for administrivia

The moment everything starts working correctly I will make another formal
announcement.

galvin@udel.edu
--
James M Galvin

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (07/04/87)

In article <1512@botter.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>  2.  Gateways between USENET and BITNET are theoretically impossible
> Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

Almost nothing is impossible (except maybe a mailer to *ALWAYS* get
the return address right), it's just how much time do you want to put
into it.  For mail, PSUVAX1 does a pretty good job gatewaying mail
back and forth.

Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp !ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken *** NOT ken@bellcore.uucp ***
bitnet(prefered) ken@orion.bitnet