[comp.os.minix] THE BOOK from CISL?

jay@rochester.UUCP (06/21/87)

I remember hearing that the Computer and Information Sciences Library
(book club) offers THE BOOK on Minix for a reasonable price.  It has
recently disappeared from their monthly listings, and I can't find a
reference in old listings -- can someone provide me with the book's
CISL catalog number so that I can order it?  Thanks.

Jay Weber
Department of Computer Science
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14627
jay@rochester.arpa
...!seismo!rochester!jay.uucp

herman@ti-csl.CSNET (Herman Schuurman) (06/23/87)

in article <372@sol.ARPA>, jay@rochester.arpa (Jay Weber) says:

> I remember hearing that the Computer and Information Sciences Library
> (book club) offers THE BOOK on Minix for a reasonable price.  It has
> recently disappeared from their monthly listings, and I can't find a
> reference in old listings -- can someone provide me with the book's
> CISL catalog number so that I can order it?  Thanks.
>
> Jay Weber

From the 3/87 listing, in which it was featured:

(66004)	Operating Systems - Design and Implementation
	Andrew Tanenbaum
	Member's Price $27.95

Herman Schuurman +++ Texas Instruments Inc. +++ Dallas, Texas
Symbolic Computing Lab, CSC, CRD&E +++ CSNET: herman@TI-CSL
USENET: {ut-sally,convex!smu,texsun,rice}!ti-csl!herman

ritchie@hplsdla.HP.COM (Dave Ritchie) (06/24/87)

  The Library of Computer and Information Sciences bookclub discussed here
has an ad in the most recent issue of Byte that offered the Book as a part
of their introductory 3 books for $1 each.  Unfortunately, it counts as 2 of
the 3 :-<, but it is certainly cheaper than buying it retail (you are only
required to buy 3 more books at below retail (suggestion: but more than one
book at a time... cuts the postage)).

   					Dave Ritchie
					..!hplabs!hp-lsd!ritchie

pre1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) (06/28/87)

In article <5890002@hplsdla.HP.COM> ritchie@hplsdla.HP.COM (Dave Ritchie) writes:

>  The Library of Computer and Information Sciences bookclub discussed here
>has an ad in the most recent issue of Byte that offered the Book as a part
>of their introductory 3 books for $1 each.  Unfortunately, it counts as 2 of
>the 3 :-<, but it is certainly cheaper than buying it retail (you are only
>required to buy 3 more books at below retail (suggestion: but more than one
>book at a time... cuts the postage)).
>
>   					Dave Ritchie
>					..!hplabs!hp-lsd!ritchie

I'm a member, and when I saw it in their catalog ($27.95 + P/H) I of course
ordered it.  That was on 6/5/87.  The other day I got a card in the mail
from the good folks at MacMillan (LICS) telling me that the BOOK was
"TOS -  Additional stock is expected shortly and your order will be shipped at
that time."  I received this on or about 6/25/87.  In other words, good price,
but they don't have it in either.  I should have bought it when I saw it at
Krochs & Brentano's the other day instead of being a good little boy and
waiting for the order I had placed with the bookstore to come in.

I know that there is a card in the back of the book to get the software, but
I would like to order it before I get the book (the time will be served
consecutively).  I would appreciate it if someone would mail me the
address and requisite ordering information so I can start the ball rolling
on that one.  I know it's been on the net before, and I even saved it, but
I lost it.
	Thanks,

--
=====================Grant Prellwitz==========================
!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1          pre1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (07/06/87)

In article <372@sol.ARPA>, jay@rochester.UUCP writes:
> I remember hearing that the Computer and Information Sciences Library
> (book club) offers THE BOOK on Minix for a reasonable price.
> -- can someone provide me with the book's CISL catalog number so that I
> can order it?  Thanks.
>

> Jay Weber

This should go by mail, but mail works so seldom I'm posting it instead.

The Library of Computer and Information Sciences lists Andrew Tanenbaum's
"Operating Systems: Design and Implementation" in their 7/87 catalogue.
The catalogue number is 66004.  The member's price is 27.95 and the bonus
price is $12.93.  The book is certainly worth buying, even at the
publisher's price.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...akgua!usfvax2!jc3b21!fgd3

jcmorris@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Joseph C. Morris) (07/10/87)

I checked the local (Washington, D.C.) area B. Dalton stores last night
and found that they at long last do list THE BOOK in their microfiche
records and in one case actually had a copy of it on the shelves.  They
still do not (and probably never will) stock the floppies.  I think they
priced the book at $29.95 or so.  If your local store doesn't have it,
try the Computer Literacy store in Sunnyvale:  (408) 730-9955.  (Standard
disclaimer applies.)

Joe Morris

chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Chris Peck) (07/11/87)

I just special ordered the book from our campus bookstore(Barnes&Noble)-
it listed for $24.95.
--
Internet: chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu	Chris Peck
CSnet: chris@suny-bing				SUNY Binghamton