[comp.os.minix] PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ THIS IF YOU WISH TO POST

mpl@sfsup.UUCP (07/06/87)

PLEASE!  Before you post, THINK!  MINIX is based on AT&T's version 7 UNIX(R),
NOT on BSD4.* or System V.  DON'T tell me MINIX is broken because it doesn't
have an auto-widget like *real* UNIX systems do and then mention that a
*real* UNIX system to you is foobar system's CLONIX(*) 88.  Find a V7 guru
or manual (yes, some of us still remember fondly V7 UNIX) and find out where
you're wrong BEFORE wasting thousands of $$$'s of net connect time at hundreds
of sites as half the readers say "oh yeah, it's broken" and the other half
say "oh no, not again".  Also, if you're really not sure what's a feature and
what isn't, send mail to someone who should know, and let them post a reply
ONCE to the net.  Thank you for your continued support.

Mike Lindner
....!ihnp4!attunix!mpl

P.S.
(R) UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T
(*) I just made CLONIX up and I may use it for a name (no not mine) someday,
    so I'm reserving all the rights to it, so there!

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (07/13/87)

mpl@sfsup.UUCP (Mike Lindner) wrote:
> PLEASE!  Before you post, THINK!  MINIX is based on AT&T's version 7 UNIX(R),
> NOT on BSD4.* or System V.  DON'T tell me MINIX is broken...

Well, Minix is "V7 system call compatible".  However, the utilities and
libraries are way below V7 standard.  Look at the tar command, for example,
or standard I/O.  Somebody remarked that it was a lot more like V6 as far
as utilities go.
--
{dasys1,ncoast,well,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu	     gnu@postgres.berkeley.edu
Alt.all: the alternative radio of the Usenet.