[net.news] cross-posting restrictions lifted

geoff@utcs.UUCP (09/11/86)

In August, I wrote approximately:
> utcs is running C news, which has implemented some of the policy in B
> 2.11 news.  One notable feature is that, in order to prevent
> cross-postings such as (in the brave new world) "comp.unix.wizards,
> rec.auto" ... B 2.11 and C news insist that all newsgroups in the
> Newsgroups: line must be in the same "newsgroup class" (i.e. must all
> start with the same word).  This means that cross-postings such as
> ont.general,tor.general will be quietly dropped ...

Since then the people who originally proposed this policy have reversed
themselves and do not plan to implement it in B 2.11, so I have
correspondingly removed it from C news (at least on utcs; not all C news
sites have this latest version) and am now awaiting the release of B
2.11 to see what the policies du jour *really* are.
--
Geoff Collyer		utzoo!utcs!geoff, geoff@cs.toronto.cdn