From: ddp+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Drew Daniel Perkins)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc
Subject: new pcip distribution
Date: 13 Jul 87 19:47:42 GMT

Lot's of people have been sending me mail asking about the BITNET
distribution of CMU PCIP.

Getting CMU PCIP from the arpanet
---------------------------------
To get the CMU Microsoft C version of the PCIP package from the arpanet,
connect to host "lancaster.andrew.cmu.edu" with FTP (no quotes when you
really type it).  This machine is a 4.2bsd UNIX system.  Login in as user
"anonymous", password "guest".  Next, use the "cd" command to change your
working directory to "pub".  Now if you do a "dir" command you will get a
listing of all the necessary files.  First, "get" the files "readme" and
"install.bat" in netascii mode.  The rest of the files must be retrieved
in binary/octet/image mode.  Now retrieve the files "tarread.exe",
"root.tar",
"include.tar", "srcdev.tar", "srclib.tar" and "srccmd.tar".  The file
"doc.tar" is also available if you want the scribe documentation.  The three
large files, "srclib.tar", "srccmd.tar" and "doc.tar" are also available in
"compressed" format.  These files have a ".Z" extension.  If you retrieve
these, there is no reason to retrieve the original ".tar" files.  These
files are provided in case you have trouble transferring the large files
over the network.  The UNIX "uncompress" program may be used to regenerate
the original ".tar" files.

Once you have these on your local machine, use TFTP, kermit or some other
file
transfer program to get them to your PC.  Put the files under a subdirectory
such as c:\pcip.  Make sure you do the transfers in the proper mode (octet or
ascii, as above).  The file "readme" explains what you have, and how to
proceed farther.  The program tarread.exe is a very small tar file reading
program that I wrote.  It has very few features, but it serves the purpose
here.

Getting CMU PCIP from BITNET
---------------------------------
To get the CMU Microsoft C version of the PCIP package from BITNET, retrieve
the "pcip package" from host cmuccvma.  To do this from an IBM VM system,
type the command:
	"tell listserv at cmuccvma get pcip package"
From a VMS system running JNET say:
	"send listserv@cmuccvma get pcip package"
If you would like to automatically receive updates you can "subscribe"
yourself.  From VM use the two commands:
	"tell listserve at cmuccvma pw add 'password'"
	"tell listserve at cmuccvma afd add pcip package pw='password'"
And from VMS:
	"send listserve@cmuccvma pw add 'password'"
	"send listserve@cmuccvma afd add pcip package pw='password'"
In either case, replace 'password' with some string.  Once you have received
all of the files, you should have a collection of plain ascii files with a
"boo" extension.  These files are formatted specially so that they can get
through BITNET unchanged (hopefully!).

Once you have these on your local machine, use TFTP, kermit or some other
file
transfer program to get them to your PC.  Put the files under a subdirectory
such as c:\pcip.  Since boo files are all plain ascii files, make sure you
transfer them in netascii mode.  I.e. if you are transferring them from a VM
system, make sure that EBCIDIC to ASCII translation is done.  If you are
transferring them from a VMS system, JNET should have already done the
transformation.  The file "read.me" explains what you have, and how to
proceed farther.

Good luck,
Drew Perkins

arpanet: drew.perkins@andrew.cmu.edu