[comp.os.minix] IP, UDP, TCP for the PC: PC/IP where you can get it.

andrew@mulga.oz (Andrew Worsley) (07/14/87)

I have received a few enquiries about where one can get PC/IP for the
IBM PC, from my article about putting a remote filesystem on MINIX using
ethernet, so I thought I would make a general posting out of it.

  This stuff all though contains almost certainly out of date prices is still
valid as far as the addresses go:

   PC/IP is an implementation of Arpanet's IP and UDP protocol over
ethernet or serial line plus a basic version of TCP, TFTP, and several
other services. All this is designed to run on the IBM PC under DOS
operating system. It is available to be distributed as long as the MIT
copyrights are maintained in the source code and MIT's name is not used
to advirtise any product based on unless pemission is obtained.

   Places you can order PC/IP from: (correct as of 3/April/86)

(1)
	MIT: (compiled under their own C cross compiler)
	pair of diskettes $44 or full tar tape of binaries and sources $55:
	MIT Microcomputer Center
	Room 11-209
	77 Massachusetts Avenue
	Cambridge, MA 02139

	Phone (617) 253-6325

	or via anonymous FTP from borax.lcs.mit.edu, in which case they
	ask you send mail to pcip-release@borax.lcs.mit.edu so they can keep
	you upto date with bug fixes.

(2)
	CMU PC/IP: (PC/IP ported to Microsoft C)
	Drew Perkins
	co Carnegie-Mellon University
	4910 Forbes Ave.
	Pittsburg,PA 15213

	or anonymous FTP, password guest, from "vd.cc.cmu.edu".

(3)
	Dartmouth College: (Ported to Apple Macintosh - Not IBM PC)
	Mark Sherman
	Computer Network Laboratory
	Depatment of Mathematics and Computer Science
	Dartmouth College
	Hanover, NH 03755

	Ph: (603) 646 2415
	mss@dartmouth.csnet

	IBM is also distributing a supported binary version for serveral $100 US
	based on this. You sould contact them for further information.

(4?)
	University of Melbourne, Australia: (Straight PC/IP)
	We are possibly willing to distribute this for a small
	fee about $50 in Australia or New Zealand only. Write to us
	first for details.
	e-mail address: andrew@mulga.oz

	Attention: Andrew Worsley
	Department of Computer Science,
	Melbourne University,
	Parkville, 3052.

bdale@winfree.UUCP (Bdale Garbee) (07/16/87)

In article <2090@mulga.oz> andrew@mulga.oz (Andrew Worsley) writes:
>   PC/IP is an implementation of Arpanet's IP and UDP protocol over
>ethernet or serial line plus a basic version of TCP, TFTP, and several
>other services. All this is designed to run on the IBM PC under DOS
>operating system. It is available to be distributed as long as the MIT
>copyrights are maintained in the source code and MIT's name is not used
>to advirtise any product based on unless pemission is obtained.

Another package I would strongly suggest be considered by anyone wanting
to port TCP/IP into Minix would be Phil Karn KA9Q's NET.EXE package for
MS-Dos, which I have been helping work on for a while.  It is smaller,
somewhat "cleaner" in terms of code style, and in a certain sense, more
in keeping with the "Minix philosophy".  I've got a background task going
now to get it integrated with Minix, but would *love* to have someone
else send me working code!

The bits are available most reliably from my BBS, at 303/593-0766, up to
2400 baud, almost 24 hrs/day.  No restrictions on first time callers that
would prevent your grabbing all the sources even at 1200.

The bits are also generally available via anonymous FTP from the machine
louie.udel.edu.
--

Bdale Garbee, N3EUA		phone: 303/593-9828 h, 303/590-2868 w
uucp: {bellcore,crash,hp-lsd,hpcsma,ncc,pitt,usafa,vixie}!winfree!bdale

madd@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (Jim "Jack" Frost) (07/18/87)

In article <2090@mulga.oz> andrew@mulga.oz (Andrew Worsley) writes:
>I have received a few enquiries about where one can get PC/IP for the
>IBM PC, from my article about putting a remote filesystem on MINIX using
>ethernet, so I thought I would make a general posting out of it.
[...]
>   PC/IP is an implementation of Arpanet's IP and UDP protocol over
>ethernet or serial line plus a basic version of TCP, TFTP, and several
>other services. All this is designed to run on the IBM PC under DOS
>operating system. It is available to be distributed as long as the MIT
>copyrights are maintained in the source code and MIT's name is not used
>to advirtise any product based on unless pemission is obtained.
>
>   Places you can order PC/IP from: (correct as of 3/April/86)
[places deleted]

I have a copy of Phil Karn's TCP/IP for the PC, which has a README
file saying that you can do anything you want with it so long as its
noncommercial.  I can shar it and send it to any interested parties.
Note:  It's *quite* large.

According to the README file, it's designed to be compiled under Aztec
C.  This particular copy may be slightly altered, since we were trying
to port it to an AT&T 3B2 (usuccessfully to date -- what a horrid
machine the 3B2 is), but I don't think so.  Takers?  Be *sure* to give
me a good path, preferably ARPAnet if you can do it.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
          Jim Frost * The Madd Hacker | UUCP: ..!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!madd
  H H                                 | ARPA:           madd@bucsb.bu.edu
H-C-C-OH <- heehee          +---------+----------------------------------
  H H                       | "We are strangers in a world we never made"

broman@cod.UUCP (Vincent P. Broman) (07/20/87)

In article <1049@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP>, madd@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (Jim "Jack" Frost) writes:
> I have a copy of Phil Karn's TCP/IP for the PC, which has a README
> file saying that you can do anything you want with it so long as its
> noncommercial.  I can shar it and send it to any interested parties.
> Note:  It's *quite* large.

This is now available from minix-server@bugs.nosc.mil under the pseudo
Message-Ids karn0@bugs.nosc.mil thru karn7@bugs.nosc.mil .

Also the 1.2 diffs and sources are here on bugs.
The compatibility list has not much new in it.

To review:
Subject: archive service on bugs.nosc.mil
Date: 20 May 87 19:22:17 GMT

An archive retrieval service for old comp.os.minix articles is set
up on bugs.nosc.mil using E-mail.  Everything available to anonymous
FTP in directory pub/Minix can be obtained by sending a mailed request
to minix-server@bugs.nosc.mil or nosc!minix-server .  Include in the
message, either among the header fields or the body, a line like:

and following that a line or lines naming desired files e.g.:

send compatibility
send SUBJECTS
send 1180@botter.cs.vu.nl

to get an automatic mailed reply.
Your mail address should look something like one of these examples:

you@stolaf.uucp
cs.vu.nl!giant@seismo.css.gov
person%utoronto.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
user%ulowell.csnet@relay.cs.net
honcho%durham.mailnet@mit-multics.arpa    .

FTP should happen during off-hours only.
E-mail is not free, either; abuse of the system will cause bad karma.
Contents may have settled during shipment.

Vincent Broman,  code 632, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA 92152, USA
Phone: +1 619 225 2365    Internet: broman@nosc.mil   Uucp: sdcsvax!nosc!broman