[comp.os.minix] out of string space

ESC1111%DDAESA10.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (N.Head) (07/23/87)

To the person who reported the 'out of string space' message from 'unsharing'
tthings (sorry - bouncing tt key). I had the same problem - some help can be
had be making a shell with a bigger stack 'chmem =64000 ....'. It still
doesn't help much though. Seems to me that the shell must be making a local
copy of the input file so that it can find the end-of-file given in the <<
bit of the command. It must also be making it in the heap!!! Anyone with
more knowledge than I care to comment??

As a 'by the way' would it be too much to ask that shar's distributted on the
nett actually be usable on MINIX systems (not all of us have access to a real
UNIX). A case in point was tthe new commands archive sent recently (fix, du
ettc.) which not only needed SED but wouldn't fit in the shell even when I
edited all SED's to appropriate GRES commands.

Or have I missed something obvious ???      Nigel

bc@njitsc1.njit.edu (Bill Cheswick) (07/23/87)

In article <378@louie.udel.EDU> ESC1111%DDAESA10.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (N.Head) writes:
>bit of the command. It must also be making it in the heap!!! Anyone with
>more knowledge than I care to comment??

There were mods to the shell posted around April that fix the out-of-string
problem and clean up a few other things.  I found it was needed to even start
the 1.2 install.  Check the archives.

>As a 'by the way' would it be too much to ask that shar's distributted on the
>nett actually be usable on MINIX systems (not all of us have access to a real
>UNIX). A case in point was tthe new commands archive sent recently (fix, du
>ettc.) which not only needed SED but wouldn't fit in the shell even when I
>edited all SED's to appropriate GRES commands.

Hear hear!  It is much easier to unshar on Minix then to move all those files
individually after unsharing on a Unix machine.  (dosdir doesn't produce a list
useful for a shell list, what with the headers and all.  Unlike most of Andy's
work, dosdir is quite different from the V7 version  :-})

Anyway, I wrote little scripts for sed and chmod to simulate the commands
in the shar file, so the shar file wouldn't have to be edited.

Bill Cheswick			UUCP:   bellcore!argus!njitsc1!bc
The Cygnherd of Morristown	ARPA:   cheswick@jvnca.csc.org