[net.news] THe continuing saga of modifying the newsgroup structure

Greg Woods writes:
>  At some point, we simply have to stop debating on where everyone's favorite
>group should go and *do* it. There is nothing to stop us (and by "us" I now
>mean the entire net, not the backbone) from moving a group later. Features
>of 2.11 news (consider this a plug) will make this easier, as I understand
>it, due to a different implementation of newsgroup aliasing. 2.11 will also
>make posting to moderated groups easier, and allow mod groups to fit
>*anywhere* in the namespace (not just mod.*).

THis is completely at variance with the net *I'm* on.  When consensus was
the political force of the net, very very few groups ever got deleted, and I
can't think of any that were ever moved.  Under the current scheme, nothing
gets moved until the backbone decides to do it, so that the opinions of the
rest of the net are completely irrelevant except insofar as the backbone is
badgered into listening to them.  And I'm sorry, but new news versions are
far from any solution to matters.  People simply don't run around installing
new versions.

>  We do not have the time to debate the particular merits of every single
>newsgroup. It's out of the question. It isn't that the backbone doesn't
>care about anyone else's opinion; we do, and some changes suggested by
>non-backbone users *have* been implemented. Why, Mark Horton actually agreed
>with Matt Weiner on creating a talk.headlines group! :-) (that's in the
>works, by the way). The point is, we have to draw the line somewhere, and
>wherever that is is going to be arbitrary, and will seem unfair to whosever
>favorite group happens to be under discussion at that particular time.

So far, a grand total of 4 newsgroups have had any controversy associated
with them, by my count.  This hardly represents an overwhelming controversy.
The way that things were handled, however, is quite significant.  net.motss
was simply brow-beaten back to life.  net.singles seems to be the talk group
that everyone likes.  The wobegonians were delivered a fait accompli, and I
can understand why they're upset.  And finally, there's the philo.tech spat.
I'm sorry, but the impression I get of the discussion is that Greg Woods
doesn't like Gene Smith.  At the same time that net.philo is trying to lurch
over to moderation (without a peep of controversy), there seems to be this
willful attempt to squelch the creation of a group which was already
a-borning anyway.  There doesn't seem to be any connection whatsoever
between the supposed principles of the reorganization and the way these
things were handled.

What is being suggested here by Woods is that everyone clam up until the
thing is delivered, and then we can all start yelling.  To whom?  The
backbone has acquired the function of deciding what groups get created; if
they didn't want to deal with a lot of flack over how they do it, they
shouldn't have acquired it in the first place.

C. Wingate