[comp.os.minix] Need MINIX uucp and bbs.

pml@casetek.casetek.UUCP (Pat Lashley) (08/12/87)

The powers-that-be at my company have decided to set up a bulletin board
for our (mostly PC-DOS) customers.  Since we have only one modem-compatible
phone line, I may lose my uucp mail and news access.  As you might imagine,
I am looking (desperately) for a solution which will allow both to co-exist.

For security reasons, the bbs must run on a PC, which would have only
very controlled access to the other on-site machines.

If all of the necessary parts are available, my proposed solution is to
run MINIX on the PC, with uucp logins for the connections with other un*x
machines, and a different login for the bbs connections.

It would be acceptable for the rmail and rnews to be relativly simple-minded
forwarding programs.

Unfortunately I will not be allocated much (if any) time to perform ports
if the software is not available in a `make-and-run' form.

Now for the questions.

1) Is uucp available for MINIX?
   a) Is uucp mail handling available?
   b) Is uucp news handling available?

2) Is there a good bulletin board system available for MINIX.  Fido
   compatibility would be a major plus.

3) If none of this is possible, is there some way to make Fido act as a
   (mostly invisible) gate for uucp traffic?  (I know that this one is
   not really a MINIX question... )

Thanks for the help,
-Pat
--
Internet:	casetek!patl@sun.com		PM Lashley
uucp:		...sun!casetek!patl		CASE Technology, Inc.
>> Anyone can have the facts; having an opinion is an art. <<

dph@beta.UUCP (David P Huelsbeck) (08/13/87)

Sorry to post this but my mailer bounced my original response.

It sounds like "unaxcess" (I believe that's the correct spelling anyway)
is really what you want. I understand that it's actually a unix based
bbs that runs as a special shell on many types of unix machines. When the
dial-up user responds to "login:" with "ua" and give the correct passwd
they are logged in under the ua shell. This is very similar to the way
uucp works. Under this shell though I think there is then another login
prompt to get into the ua files and services.

This seem fairly secure to me but you'd be better off asking someone who
runs this kind of bbs. There was a discussion of this on comp.sources
and/or comp.unix.sources about a week ago. This is a pd or shareware type
program and souces have been posted to the net. The author also runs a bbs
using the same program.

I obviously don't run anything like this myself so if you're interested
in finding out more try one of the sources groups not me.

Once again, sorry for posting this but I thought it might be helpful.

	David Huelsbeck
	dph@LANL.GOV.ARPA
	{cmcl2,ihnp4}!lanl!dph

#include standard disclaimers

chet@cwruecmp.UUCP (08/14/87)

In article <8910@beta.UUCP> dph@beta.UUCP (David P Huelsbeck) writes:
>It sounds like "unaxcess" (I believe that's the correct spelling anyway)
>is really what you want.

>This is a pd or shareware type
>program and souces have been posted to the net. The author also runs a bbs
>using the same program.

UNAXCESS was written and is maintained by Brandon Allbery, moderator of
comp.sources.misc ({cbosgd,sun,cwruecmp}!ncoast!allbery).  UNAXCESS was
posted to comp.sources.unix and is in volume 9 of the archives under the
name "unaxcess2". "ncoast" is the machine running the unaxcess software.

For more info about getting stuff in the archives, read the info messages
that Rich $alz posts there every so often.  He puts a fairly long expire
time on them, so they should still be on your machine.

Hope this helps,

Chet Ramey

Internet:  chet@cwru.EDU
UUCP:     {...}!cbosgd!cwruecmp!chet
BITNET:   ramey%cwru20@cu20b

He was a sharp guy...He lived on the edge of town...

root@hobbes.UUCP (08/15/87)

+---- Pat Lashley writes the following in article <126@casetek.casetek.UUCP> ---
| 3) If none of this is possible, is there some way to make Fido act as a
|    (mostly invisible) gate for uucp traffic?  (I know that this one is
|    not really a MINIX question... )
+----

Sorry about non-minix stuff, but it relates...

John Galvin (galvin@circle.uucp) has Fido running with full news and mail
and bi-directional uucp.  This means that the uucp can be used to route
stuff thru the Fido BBS machine to your unix box, as well as making the
Usenet news groups (your choice) avaliable to the BBS users.

There will be a talk at the IFNA conference in Wash DC this/next week about
the gateway.  Watch your FidoNews's!

The UUCP software will be posted to one of the source groups as soon as
the conference is over...

(This sw is derived from the uuslave PD stuff and IS NOT AT&T stuff!)

--
John Plocher uwvax!geowhiz!uwspan!plocher  plocher%uwspan.UUCP@uwvax.CS.WISC.EDU