[comp.os.minix] is Minix available for Atari 1040 ST?

jholbach@wright.UUCP (09/08/87)

	I just finished reading Tanenbaum's article about Minix in the
Mar/Apr 87 issue of ;login (USENIX Assn. Newsletter). Could someone
tell me whether Minix has been ported to the Atari 1040 ST yet and
if so, where can it be acquired?

	Thank you.

	Jim Holbach
	Wright State University
	Dayton, Ohio

	csnet: jholbach@wright.edu
	other: ...!cbosgd!jholbach
	       jholbach@wright.UUCP

Disclaimer: I'm sure practically everything above is a trademark
	    of somebody or other....

gert@prls.UUCP (Gert Slavenburg) (09/09/87)

A beta release version of Minix for the Atari-ST is currently available
and being tested by a (I guess selected) group of people. As far as I
understand the real release should be quite soon.

Now if we can get the manpower organized to put X-windows V11 on top of
Minix we will have a multi process, Unix compatible, windowing O.S. the
source of which is fully available ! Proposal to that effect follows.

That situation is definitely preferable over GEM, the source of which
seems to be unavailable even to Atari itself ! (I have no other explana-
tion for Atari not coming out with an improved GEM).

  Gert Slavenburg

davidh@ucbcad.berkeley.edu (David S. Harrison) (09/09/87)

In article <6080@prls.UUCP> gert@prls.UUCP (Gert Slavenburg) writes:
>Now if we can get the manpower organized to put X-windows V11 on top of
>Minix we will have a multi process, Unix compatible, windowing O.S. the
>source of which is fully available ! Proposal to that effect follows.

I am afraid such a proposal is not practical.  The size of the executable
server for X version 10 (on a VAX) is 110k and normally consumes about
2MB of virtual space when running.  A version 11 server is bound to be
larger.  Unless you are proposing a small subset,  I am not sure
we will ever see X on a machine with 64k processes (or 128k split I&D).

					David Harrison
					(davidh@ic.Berkeley.EDU)
					(...!ucbvax!ucbcad!davidh)

jum@focus.UUCP (Jens Uwe Mager) (09/12/87)

I have seen the fork code in minix for intel processors, so I am wondering
how can fork work on a linear addressed processor without a memory managing
unit? Can anyone enlighten me on this theme?
--
Jens-Uwe Mager
jum@focus.UUCP

apratt@atari.UUCP (09/17/87)

I know how the fork code for the ST's 68000 works in principle, but
the guys who are doing the port seem reluctant to enlighten anybody,
so here goes:

When you fork(), a copy of your data space is stored away in RAM.  The
parent continues executing, in the hopes that it will do a wait() right
away.  The child at this point is "ready but swapped out." When the time
comes to run the child, it gets swapped in -- the data space of the
parent and child are swapped.  This goes on until the parent wait()s for
the child, in which case the parent stays swapped out until the child
terminates, or until the child does an exec(), in which case it stops
using the same address space as the parent.  Remember that the
"swapping" going on is in RAM, not to disk or anything.

This is pretty rough -- I haven't looked at the details.  The basic
idea of shadowing two processes which run at the same address is right,
though.  Of course, if neither process does a wait or exec, as is
the case with tip(1), you end up doing a lot of swapping.  I don't
know what the performance ramifications are.

At least they share text (I think).