[comp.os.minix] Partition/disk requitement???

SWG.LPRESS@c.isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) (09/18/87)

I just got a 40 MB drive to replace one which had crashed.
Can I partition it into two logical drives and run DOS
in one and MINIX in the other?  If so, practically speaking how
much disk does MINIX require -- would a 10 MB partition be too
small to be useful?

A related question -- I am using a replacement mothernboard from
Wavemate, Inc.  It has an 80286 with XT slots and Wavemate's
own BIOS  -- has anyone had compatibiliity problems with their
BIOS and Minix?

Thanks,
Larry
-------

stuart@bms-at.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (09/24/87)

In article <515@louie.udel.EDU>, SWG.LPRESS@c.isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) writes:
> I just got a 40 MB drive to replace one which had crashed.
> Can I partition it into two logical drives and run DOS
> in one and MINIX in the other?  If so, practically speaking how
> much disk does MINIX require -- would a 10 MB partition be too
> small to be useful?

DOS will only run in the first 32Meg of the disk.  A MINIX partition
can go anywhere, but fsck will bomb unless MINIX is in the first 32M.
The wini device drivers for MINIX do not have this bug.

I.e. without fixing some software, you really have a 32Meg disk.

Solutions:

	DOS - don't even try, just put it in the first 32M.

	MINIX #1: Fix the physio routine in fsck to take a 16-bit
		  partition offset instead of a 16-bit absolute sector
		  number as an argument.

	MINIX #2: Fix fsck to run under MINIX instead of under BIOS.
		  A version of fsck to do this has been posted to the
		  net.  You cannot boot MINIX with the hard disk as
		  a root filesystem and expect to check it.  Boot
		  with the standard RAM root filesystem to check
		  the hard disk.
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<stuart@bms-at.uucp>
			<..!{vrdxhq|dgis}!bms-at!stuart>