[comp.os.minix] FSF Distribution Requirements

tower@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (09/29/87)

Home: 36 Porter Street, Somerville, MA  02143, USA  +1 (617) 623-7739

In article <478@bms-at.UUCP> stuart@bms-at.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
 > In article <655@varian.UUCP>, cw@varian.UUCP (Carl Weidling) writes:
 >
 > > 	Anyway, Stuart D. Gathman says he hopes bison is being supplied
 > > in binary, is that part of the requirement imposed by the Free Software
 > > Foundation?  Did the FSF also provide LEX?  Weren't these posted to
 >
 > The requirement is that only binaries may be *charged* for.  Source must
 > be given away free.  Any fee charged for the binary is for the trouble
 > of porting the source to a particular environment.  Any binaries sold must
 > include a notice describing how to obtain the source for free.
 > --
 > Stuart D. Gathman	<stuart@bms-at.uucp>
 > 			<..!{vrdxhq|dgis}!bms-at!stuart>

Stuart is wrong.  Neither source nor binary may be charged for.  One
may charge for the cost of media and distribution labor.

This discussion is quite inappropriate for comp.os.minix.  I suggest
you move it to e-mail.

Note that if one distribute binary one must either distribute full
source or arranged to make it available indefinitely.  The curious
should read a copy of the GNU PUBLIC LICENSE for full details.  The
LICENSE is required to be distributed with all GNU software.  A copy
of the LICENSE or further information on Project GNU is available
from:

	gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu   (a.k.a. ucbvax!prep.ai.mit.edu!gnu)

enjoy -len