[net.news] 2.10.3 news breaking Xref in rn

chris@minnie.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) (10/11/86)

We recently installed 2.10.3 news (version B 2.10.3 4.3bsd 1/17/86) and it
has subsequently broken the Xref feature of rn.  I see where the problem lies.
The function ihwrite() no longer puts out a 'Relay-Version:' which rn depended
on for sanity checking of hostnames and the Xref line.

Four possible solutions:
	1. have ihwrite() generate the Relay-Version: line as it used to.  (This
	   is what I did).
	2. have rn quit sanity checks.
	3. have rn check Path: rather than Relay-Version: for comparison
	   purposes.
	4. have rn use gethostname() or /usr/include/whoami for comparison
	   purposes.

If there is an official fix for this, I apologise for not being aware of it.
If not, is there a well-known fix?  Or is what I did adequate and not going
to break something else?

Thanks for any responses.

--
	Chris Grevstad
	{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!chris

	"Too many notes.  There are just simply too many notes."

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (10/13/86)

In article <286@minnie.UUCP> chris@minnie.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) writes:
>We recently installed 2.10.3 news (version B 2.10.3 4.3bsd 1/17/86) and it
>has subsequently broken the Xref feature of rn...
>If there is an official fix for this, I apologise for not being aware of it.

The official fix is rn patch number 29.  The lastest patch is #31.
See if any of your immediate neighbors can send you the patches.

I hope when 2.11 is officially released, that the net can adopt the
same patchlevel system that Larry Wall uses to keep rn up to date.
It works really well.

--
- Joe Buck 	{hplabs,fortune}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck, nsc!csi!epimass!jbuck
  Entropic Processing, Inc., Cupertino, California