[comp.os.minix] Looking For MINIX-ST

dpd@tellab5.UUCP (Dan Dietrich) (10/07/87)

I am a hardware design engineer who is VERY interested in the MINIX operating
system as a self-improvement tool.  I have just finished a "home brewed"
68000 single board computer and I'm hoping to use it as a foundation for
learning more about operating systems.

I have purchased the MINIX textbook along with the source and binaries.
My intentions were to port MINIX over to my 68000 based board as part of
a self taught operating systems course.  After hearing about the MINIX port
to the ATARI-ST, I now believe that MINIX-ST would be a much better base
for this type of a project.  I have tried to contact the people doing
the MINIX-ST port, but they have not responded.

Ideally, I would like to get a copy of the MINIX-ST when it is at a stable
point.  This would save me the trouble of dealing with the general
C portability problems that have been encountered so far - after all, my goal
is to learn more about operating systems, not C portability problems.

I'm not too thrilled about purchasing another copy of the MINIX source
when the ST version becomes available.  The MINIX compiler is not
absolutely necessary for me since I have a cross compiler.

Does anybody have any advice on how I might solve this dilemma?
Any comments Andy ??

Any help that anyone could offer me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Dan Dietrich
...ihnp4!tellab5!tellab2!dpd

johan@nlgvax.UUCP (Johan Stevenson) (10/08/87)

In article <714@tellab5.UUCP> dpd@tellab5.UUCP (Dan Dietrich) writes:
>I have tried to contact the people doing
>the MINIX-ST port, but they have not responded.
That must be me. Sorry, I probably missed it.

>Ideally, I would like to get a copy of the MINIX-ST when it is at a stable
>point.
Currently this stable point has not been reached. A beta version is
sent to a limited number of people, but it will take some more time
for a first release.

>I'm not too thrilled about purchasing another copy of the MINIX source
>when the ST version becomes available.
Good point, but I cannot give you answers.

				Johan W. Stevenson,
				Philips Research Laboratories,
				Project Centre Geldrop,
				Building XR, Room 15,