[comp.os.minix] New compilers, versions of the OS

butler@brl-smoke.ARPA (Lee A Butler ) (10/16/87)

I am very interested in getting reviews of the new MINIX compilers.  I have
just about drawn the conclusion that MINIX will never be fast/reliable enough
to be my XT's OS.  Slow compilation/execution speed and lack of serial port
drivers has made MINIX nearly intolerable for day-to-day use.  Unless the new
compiler really does fix the bugs, and compile faster to code that really does
execute faster, I'm looking at going back to DOS or forward to XENIX.

I realize that MINIX was designed as a teaching tool and not as an OS "to be
used", but I had had hopes.

Tired of waiting for the compiler...
--
Lee A. Butler				butler@stsci.arpa | butler@brl.arpa
Space Telescope Science Institute	Usenet: {noao,nrao1}!stsci!butler

jkg@pyr.gatech.EDU (Jim Greenlee) (10/18/87)

In article <6570@brl-smoke.ARPA> butler@brl-smoke.ARPA (Lee A Butler ) writes:
>I realize that MINIX was designed as a teaching tool and not as an OS "to be
>used", but I had had hopes.

Replace "MINIX" in the above statement with "Pascal" and "OS" with "programming
language", and you get some idea of just how popular something like this could
become. Just goes to show that you never can tell :-).

						Jim Greenlee
--
The Shadow...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!pyr!jkg

Jryy, abj lbh'ir tbar naq qbar vg! Whfg unq gb xrrc svqqyvat jvgu vg hagvy lbh
oebxr vg, qvqa'g lbh?!

context@uw-june.UUCP (Ronald Blanford) (10/19/87)

> The MINIX Version 1.2 C compiler is now available from the following
> two companies.  Contact them for pricing and other information.
>
>   UniPress Software			Transmediair Utrecht BV
>   2025 Lincoln Highway			Melkweg 3
>   Edison, NJ 08817			3721 RG Bilthoven
>   USA					Holland
>   Tel: (201) 985-8000			Tel: +31 (30) 78 18 20

I called UniPress this morning and received the following information.

They will begin shipping the compiler in a week, starting 10/26 or so,
and are already accepting orders.  The compiler requires Minix version
1.2.  The cost is $99 (check, VISA, MC).  This includes the source.  I
assume the source will compile under Minix, though this was not
explicitly stated.  A binary is included, but there is no provision
for a binary-only package.

My question to AST: is there any way these companies could be
influenced to distribute a lower-cost binary-only version (on the
order of $25 or so).  I sympathize with the plight of your graduate
students, but being one myself I can't afford to buy sources for which
I have no use.

-- Ron

werner@nikhefk.UUCP (Werner Vogels) (10/20/87)

> The MINIX Version 1.2 C compiler is now available from the following
> two companies.  Contact them for pricing and other information.
>
>   UniPress Software                   Transmediair Utrecht BV
>   2025 Lincoln Highway                        Melkweg 3
>   Edison, NJ 08817                    3721 RG Bilthoven
>   USA                                 Holland
>   Tel: (201) 985-8000                 Tel: +31 (30) 78 18 20

I called Transmediar and they are selling the compilers for f 375
($ 180).

This is twice as expensive as the UniPress deal so don't order it
in Holland.

If you buy both the compilers (Pascal and C) you have to pay $180
for  each of them. Transmediar didn't want to give a discount for
ordering both, even if there is only a different  front-end  (cem
and pem). So if you buy both the compilers you have two identical
cpp's, opt's etc.

I think the price I paid for the OS was very reasonable (I'm  not
a  rich  student) buth if i have to pay three times $180 (I would
very much want the Modula2 comp as well) for  compilers  who  are
far from perfect it gets expensive in the end.

I think there should be better deal like buying a set of binaries
with all three front-ends present.

I sympathize with the idea selling products to  get  extra  money
for  students  but  as being a student without a such a sponsor I
can't spent $500 on  Minix.  So  I'll  have  to  go  looking  for
somebody  who  did  buy it and ............ the VU students don't
get any money at all. I hear a lot of noises like this from other
students  so  if  the  system  wants  to work it should bring the
prices down to the same level as the OS.

Werner H.P. Vogels

(this was personal and had nothing to do with the Institute)

National Institute for Nuclear Physics and High-energy Physics
Section Nuclear Physics, Computer Systems Group.
postbus 4395 1009 AJ Amsterdam
The Netherlands tel: +31 20 5922030
E-mail: ..!mcvax!nikhefk!werner (UUCP)